Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hate the BW8 layout, and can't change it!

Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    ...Would it be possible to put in an option to turn off the search column? That would solve it for me....
    Why not just shrink it? Grab the column divide and drag it all the way to the left. Is that what you are looking for?

Of course, I would love to have the option in the browse window of having a "show Full Reference" box that would allow you to type in the full reference to go to rather then selecting the reference through drop-down boxes. Entering it into the search box is suitable but not intuitive to me. I'd rather select the reference in the same window it will be displayed in.
    Last edited by spitzerpl; 02-10-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: had additional thoughts

I was one who begged to keep the browse window on the left for BW7 (The majority wanted to drop it back then, but they yielded to the minority), so I understand your feelings. But after about a month of using BW8 I got used to the "new" setup, and I find that I don't miss the old one at all. I suggest just giving it time.
    Or, you could always open a secondary browse window and drag it to the left of the screen. That won't put the search window to the right, but if you make the secondary browse window a bit shorter, you can have the command line on top of it, and still have your browse window on the left.
    Mark Eddy

Default Find > Read > Study

I started with BW5 and was happy with the layout. BW7 took some getting used to, but I have now become very happy with it. I think of it in terms of:
    Find (search) > Read (browse) > Study (analysis). That seems to be a logical progression of work for me.
    I also use Logos, and I have, in fact, set up my Logos workspace to match the BW layout! (more)
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Analysis under the Browse

You can put the analysis window under the Browse window(Tools/Options/General/Search window -/CHECK "put analysis window -"

This makes 2 columns and gives more space for the windows.

I am no programmer, but would it be really such a huge effort to make the search column switchable to the right? At least, over versions it obviously was not. (?)

Of course you cannot (and should probably not) make it right for everyone, but the old versions really were more flexible at this point, and this seems actually like a step backwards. (Well, imho) .

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pocketscholar View Post
    Don,

I would seriously consider investing in a second monitor. It makes working with two applications really nice.

Jamie
    I was thinking the same thing . I use dual monitors with BW5 and it makes a great program even better ! On a personal note I never have been able to understand why some not all put so much money in a computer system then fudge on the monitor or monitors . The very thing we use the most !

Quote Originally Posted by linuxglen View Post
    I was thinking the same thing . I use dual monitors with BW5 and it makes a great program even better ! On a personal note I never have been able to understand why some not all put so much money in a computer system then fudge on the monitor or monitors . The very thing we use the most !
    Well, I am STILL not going to lug around an extra monitor with my LAPTOP.

FWIW
    Maranatha!
    Don Johnson
    Pastor
    aaaaaGrace Baptist Church of Victoria
    aaaaaVictoria, BC
    Jeremiah 33.3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

Default Another Workaround? Parallel Window

It may help some of the issues to open a parallel window with the version that you want. You can even add the analysis window below the parallel window.

The BibleWorks staff shared a nice tip that you can use the parallel window for one version to increase screen display.

p niv would open the parallel window with just the niv, etc.

I know that this doesn't completely solve the issues, but perhaps it will help some. I know this trick helps me out quite a bit.

Grace and Peace,
    David

Thanks, David. That's sort of a helpful tip. The analysis frame in the parallel window is extremely wimpy, from what I can tell. Also, the parallel window doesn't update when you click on search results. However, it does seem to update when you type in a reference.