Thread: Confessions in the Backgrounds Resources in BW8

Default Confessions in the Backgrounds Resources in BW8

I've just found that in the Resources pull down menu of BW8 there is a section called "Backgrounds"
    In this section, I have a number of confessions listed such as the Westminster Confession (which should probably be in the Creeds section instead).

Has anyone else found this?

D
    Duncan Forbes
    New Life Church, Roehampton, London
    www.newlifelondon.com
    www.duncanf.blogspot.com

Default BW Resources menu

Some items have been added to the Resources over time (some even in the last two weeks). I think you can change a resource name and its menu location to fit your liking by editing the appropriate chd file. See:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sho...oto=nextoldest

Greg is exactly right. I don't know if there will be a BW8 update that changes these files, but you can easily do it yourself.

Open the proper .chd file with a simple text editor like Notepad.

ex. 1689lbc.chd:
    FILE 1689lbc.chm
    ID 1
    MENUNAME &Backgrounds
    MENU London Baptist Confession of Faith 1689
    DESCRIPTION <b>London Baptist Confession of Faith 1689
    RESOURCE_LANGUAGE_TYPE English
    RESOURCE_TYPE REFERENCE
    INDEX_FILE 1689lbc.sdx
    NUMLINKS 0

If you want this to show up under a different place in the menu the line in red is what you want to change. Say to the following:

MENUNAME &Creeds

or whatever floats your boat.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Thanks,
    That's really helpful.
    I never knew you could make your own. I've now made a category called "Diagrams" for Leedy and McDonald.

Duncan
    Duncan Forbes
    www.newlifelondon.com
    www.duncanf.blogspot.com

Keep in mind that if you change any of the settings in the CHD files, and if we update (or you reinstall BW) that your CHD file will be overwritten, and your settings will be lost.

We didn't create a separate Creeds category since we do not have very many creeds to include. We wanted to keep the categories as few as possible but as many as were absolutely necessary.

Perhaps we will make changes to the categories list in the future as we create new resources to add to BW.
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Default I wish that ...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Keep in mind that if you change any of the settings in the CHD files, and if we update (or you reinstall BW) that your CHD file will be overwritten, and your settings will be lost.

We didn't create a separate Creeds category since we do not have very many creeds to include. We wanted to keep the categories as few as possible but as many as were absolutely necessary.

Perhaps we will make changes to the categories list in the future as we create new resources to add to BW.
    As I have written to Support, it would be really nice, if BW8 sorted the category list in the Resources menu.
    Dr. Georg S. Adamsen, Denmark
    Editor, http://www.Revelation-Resources.com and
    WordPress @ Blogos.dk (featuring Danish localizations for WordPress plugins, themes etc.)

Yes Glen,
    With the last update, I have seen the problem with editing it myself.

I hope that you do come up with some new categories, but more importantly in my mind, it would be good if they were listed in alphabetical order.

Dunk
    Duncan Forbes
    www.newlifelondon.com
    www.duncanf.blogspot.com

8. Red face misspelled confessions

Also (and this is very far from the important needs).....
    I think it should be spelled the Canons of Dordt (not Dort)
    and
    the Heidelberg (not -burg) Catechism.

I second the idea of having the confessions both in their own separate list and in putting them in alphabetical order.
    In Him, Bennett B. Wethered
    Pastor, Dayspring Orthodox Presbyterian Church
    Warrenton/New Baltimore, Virginia
    www.dayspringopc.org

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post

For what it is worth, I changed all the locations for the various "Confessions" to "Confessions" (instead of "Creeds"), and I copied the .chd files to a thumb drive, so that when BibleWorks overwrites them, I can restore them without re-typing them all.
    Also for what it's worth, there are three "Text criticism" resources in BibleWorks, but I have 7 resources in the "Confessions" category (it would be 8, if I transferred the larger Lutheran Confessions into this category). So it appears that BibleWorks does have many "creeds" to included compared to other categories (e.g. "maps" has only 2 entries, "Aramaic" has only 1 entry).
    So BW may wish to re-think the categories on all these Confessions.
    I agree that "Backgrounds" seems to fit better with resources covering the biblical period of history, or the ancient Near East.
    Mark Eddy