Thread: The Odes of Salomon

Default The Odes of Solomon

I didn't find The Odes of Solomon inside BibleWorks 7.012. There are 42 of them.
    Can samebody tell me the way i can find these odes in the BW 7.012.
    Thanks a lot
    Last edited by IstMon58; 01-29-2009 at 05:04 AM.

Default Which "odes"

It's been a while, but: The Odes of Solomon in Syriac contained 42 psalms including a translation of the 18 Greek Psalms of Solomon (these 18 you will find in the LXT in BibleWorks). Harris "discovered" and published the Odes. The Syriac psalms are believed to be the work of christian authors. They contain trinitarian and marian theology. If not the product of a gnostic community, they were used by those who leaned towards an emerging gnostic viewpoint.
    So short answer: you won't find them per se in BibleWorks 7.0. The 18 Greek Psalms of Solomon you will find in the LXT text. They are also included in Brenton's translation LXE.
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

Default ... of Solomon

Technically the Odes are anonymous, but in many ancient manuscripts, the Odes of Solomon are found together with the similar Psalms of Solomon, and Odes began to be ascribed to the same author. Unlike the Psalms of Solomon, however, Odes is much less clearly Jewish, and much more Christian in appearance. Odes explicitly refers not only to Jesus, but also to the ideas of virgin birth, harrowing of hell, and the Trinity.

Bernard, JH (1912). "The Odes of Solomon" in Texts and Studies VIII.

Charlesworth, James H (1977). The Odes of Solomon. Missoula, Montana: Scholars Press.

Franzmann, M (1991). The Odes of Solomon: Analysis of the Poetical Structure and Form. Göttingen.

Harris, JR and A Mingana (1916, 1920. The Odes and Psalms of Solomon in 2 vols. Manchester.

http://www.carm.org/lost/solomonodes.htm
    Last edited by IstMon58; 01-28-2009 at 11:18 AM.

BibleWorks 8 contains one of the Odes of Solomon (#11) in addition to the Psalms of Solomon. It is in both Greek and English. But none of the other 42 is included. Because because of the relatively small market for them, they probably won't be in BibleWorks unless a lot of people ask for them. But since two of the editions are now old enough to be in the public domain, someone could make a user database of them, if he had a printed edition, a scanner, and lots of time.
    Mark Eddy

thanks

Too bad, it would be good to have them. They are awesome

There are some Odes of Solomon in BW8 in the OPE version. The name abreviation for the Odes of Solomon is ODS in this version. It contains 24 verses. The Psalm of Solomon is included in a separate book, as mentioned in one of the other posts.

I know this doesn't help for BW7, but at least you know that it is available and included in a new edition.
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Lightbulb Build User Module

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    But since two of the editions are now old enough to be in the public domain, someone could make a user database of them, if he had a printed edition, a scanner, and lots of time.
    Mark Eddy
    I just created a User Module with the Odes of Solomon for my own use, using one of the translations found online. It does not take very long, once you have the necessary software etc. ready.

By the way, the HTML Help Workshop was either installed on my system by another program or included as part of Vista (I believe the latter is the case).

I am not a very technical person, so I believe many will be able to do the same.
    Dr. Georg S. Adamsen, Denmark
    Editor, http://www.Revelation-Resources.com and
    WordPress @ Blogos.dk (featuring Danish localizations for WordPress plugins, themes etc.)