Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hebrew copies backwards

Default Hebrew copies backwards

I am using BW7.0.020a.1. When I copy and paste Hebrew from the lexicon it will paste into MS Word backwards. I have my fonts set to be exported as unicode.

I was trying to paste bara from Gen. 1:1 and I selected the text in the HALOT analysis window. And when I hit control-c or right-click and select "copy the text to the clipboard" it is copied as arab in MS Word.

I tried to search the forum and couldn't find any help. I feel like this is a new problem for me. I don't have any memory of it being an issue in the past.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Yes, copy-and-paste behaves rather strangely. In the case of Hebrew, it looks OK with MS Word, but with a Korean word processor or K-word, for instance, it is not OK. When copying a text directly from BW8 to K-word, the word boundary is screwed up. The last consonant of every word moves over to the next word. When copying from BW8 to MS Word and then from MS Word to K-word, all the character sequence is completely reversed! With a lexical item from the analysis window, it is essentially the same thing. Only it does not have the word boundary problem since it deals with a single item.
    In the case of Greek, it looks OK with MS Word, again. But with K-word, it doesnít copy anything at all. If copied from BW8 to MS Word, and then from MS Word to K-word, it copies all right but the font is not nice.
    None of these things happened before with BW7 when I did not bother with Unicode. Now it seems obvious that something is not right with BW8 (Unicode), or is it so complicated with BW8 that itís very hard to sort it out.
    Sorry I offer you no help. I am only confirming your problem in a way.

I've been struggling with copying issues too.

I had your problem the other day and wasted a lot of time trying to figure it out and searching the forums for help. It finally worked for me when I turned off the unicode copy options. But I had to uncheck it EVERY place it is mentioned. Once I turned it off I was able to copy correctly and not in reverse.

I don't know what causes the problem but I do have an older version of Word (97) which may have something to do with it, at least for me.

Hopefully that solution will work for you too.

Right now a related problem I have is that for some reason I can't use the SBL Hebrew font in Word. And everytime I change something related to fonts in the option dialog it does not "stick" and I have to go back and change it again and again and again. Very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by greekgeek View Post

I don't know what causes the problem but I do have an older version of Word (97) which may have something to do with it, at least for me.

Hopefully that solution will work for you too.

Right now a related problem I have is that for some reason I can't use the SBL Hebrew font in Word. And everytime I change something related to fonts in the option dialog it does not "stick" and I have to go back and change it again and again and again. Very frustrating.
    You may have to talk to tech support on this, but esp when it comes to Hebrew, I want to say that Word 97 will not properly work with the right-to-left. I know in general Word versions get better at handling this (although Word for Mac still is unable to properly handle Hebrew). So I'm going to guess that your problem specifically is more Word 97/Hebrew right-to-left related than it is BibleWorks related.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

I do think that it is bc of the old version of Word - after all it's 12 years old!
    But what confuses me is that I have the macro from BW6 on my Word - which allows me to type Hebrew right to left. And when I was fighting to get it to copy correctly I set it to Hebrew mode and it still did not work. Of course my knowledge of how the interal workings of the macro and the copy function work is very limited and they may not have anything to do with the other - so any computer genius who reads this may laugh that at my attempt to work around the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by greekgeek View Post
    I do think that it is bc of the old version of Word - after all it's 12 years old!
    But what confuses me is that I have the macro from BW6 on my Word - which allows me to type Hebrew right to left. And when I was fighting to get it to copy correctly I set it to Hebrew mode and it still did not work. Of course my knowledge of how the interal workings of the macro and the copy function work is very limited and they may not have anything to do with the other - so any computer genius who reads this may laugh that at my attempt to work around the problem.
    The Newer versions of word do copy correctly from Bibleworks 8.0; however, I have experienced the same problem described by another user. If I copy to other programs directly the text is not copied correctly; however, if I copy first to word and then from word to another program the copy works correctly. The double copy is annoying, but I haven't experienced the loss of font information described by the user above.

The biggest problems I have been having with multi-langauge support in BW 8.0 is trying to type in the search box. In Hebrew, you must have the caps lock on to type using an Israeli keyboard, and then sometimes BW inserts a daggesh/mapiq(hey) in every letter of the alphabet and then the search will fail because no Hebrew word is pointed like this. The only way I have found to get around this problem is to start another tab and hope BW doesn't get into this mode.

The Greek only seems to work if you select an English keyboard for the Greek Langauge (and use BW Greek keyboard mapping)

Note: in the BW editor window multi-langauge support works correctly, it is only in the search window where it fails.

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by benelchi View Post

Note: in the BW editor window multi-langauge support works correctly, it is only in the search window where it fails.
    It does not "fail", it is just "not supported", by design.
    Dr. Georg S. Adamsen, Denmark
    Editor, http://www.Revelation-Resources.com and
    WordPress @ Blogos.dk (featuring Danish localizations for WordPress plugins, themes etc.)

Default It fails

Quote Originally Posted by Adamsen View Post
    It does not "fail", it is just "not supported", by design.
    Bible works has published information on how to use an Israeli keyboard with bible works, and it simply does not work as described. It only sometimes works when the caps lock is enabled (not described in any documentation), and does not work at all when the caps lock is not set.

Additionally the program has a menu option for setting the keyboard for the Greek and Hebrew languages under tools->interface/settings->Bibleworks Keyboards (part of the program "design"); however, if the Hebrew keyboard is chosen for Hebrew it works unpredictably and if the Greek keyboard is chosen for Greek it does not work at all. This is NOT a feature designed into the program, it is a bug.

Default ok

Quote Originally Posted by benelchi View Post
    Bible works has published information on how to use an Israeli keyboard with bible works, and it simply does not work as described. It only sometimes works when the caps lock is enabled (not described in any documentation), and does not work at all when the caps lock is not set.

Additionally the program has a menu option for setting the keyboard for the Greek and Hebrew languages under tools->interface/settings->Bibleworks Keyboards (part of the program "design"); however, if the Hebrew keyboard is chosen for Hebrew it works unpredictably and if the Greek keyboard is chosen for Greek it does not work at all. This is NOT a feature designed into the program, it is a bug.
    Sorry if I misunderstood something. But please, do contact Support. They will need details about your OS, keyboard drivers, i.e. the System Info from the BW8's About box.

Support often monitors the Forums, but you cannot rely on that.

Perhaps it is a bug, but it happens that the problem lies elsewhere. E.g., sometimes people have enabled vowel point sensitive searching.

I am sure that Tech Support will happily work with you to get it solved, whatever the cause.
    Dr. Georg S. Adamsen, Denmark
    Editor, http://www.Revelation-Resources.com and
    WordPress @ Blogos.dk (featuring Danish localizations for WordPress plugins, themes etc.)

Default Support

I have contacted BW support, and am awaiting for an update on this problem. I know that they have been overwhelmed by this release, and have had a number of people out sick. Even so, they have already fixed some of the bugs I have reported i.e. the program no longer crashes when you try and search for a word form not found in the text you are searching. But the multilangage keyboard problems are still painfully broken.