Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BW 7.0: Chinese, Korean and Arabic Downloads

Default BW 7.0: Chinese, Korean and Arabic Downloads

Hi BW 7.0 Users,

We did not receive sufficient response for our request for people to help test the new Korean, Chinese and Arabic versions in BibleWorks, so we are going to just make a semi-public release. These files are available for free to all 7.0 users. To download them open the updater in BibleWorks 7 as usual. Then enter the accesscode "fareast" (and yes, I know Arabic is not Fareast). Just append it to whatever codes you already have (with an intervening space). Once you do that you will see the following posts:

1. AVD and AVX - new versions of the Van Dyke Arabic Bible. AVX is for Windows XP and AVD is for Vista.
    2. CU5 and CU5X - The Chinese Union Bible in Big 5 Character Set format. CU5 is for Vista and CU5X is for Windows XP.
    3. CUS and CUSX - The Chinese Union Bible using the "Simplified" Character Set. CUSX is the XP Versions.
    4. KOR - This is a Public domain Korean Bible. Unless we have reports of problems this version will be he same on Vista and XP.
    5. BibleWorks 7.0.018w - a new executable version with Chinese and Korean support.
    6. A new Online Help file. Please see Chapter 18b for details on using these new versions.

You will have to add Right to Left and Far East Language support before using these versions in XP. Your version of Vista may or may not need to have this added. We run Vista Ultimate and these items are installed by default. This not true on XP. You will also need to add Keyboards to support Chinese and Korean. If you have used Chinese and Korean already on Windows you likely have done this already.

Note that this release has different support for Arabic than the release last week. This one uses the system IME just like Chinese and Korean.

Please be sure to read the new section 18b carefully before using these new versions. Report problems or suggestions here.

We are implementing this with a unique access code to protect people who do not want to mess with the new executable until it has been thoroughly tested. The changes required to support these complex languages were extensive and the possibility of introducing new bugs is real. But we will fix them as fast as we can. We hope these new versions are helpful to our Korean, Chinese and Arabic users.
    Last edited by RickGross; 04-10-2007 at 11:25 AM.

I've downloaded all, but I can't see the Chinese and Korean versions. They don't appear anywhere in the display version list.

I'm running XP SP2, and as far as I know, all language and keyboard support is installed.

Default Language Support

Hi Scott,

When the program loads all DBU files it checks to see if the locale in the DBU is supported. The only reason I can think of that they would not show up is that the Far East language support is not installed. You may also have to reboot after the Language Support is installed. Open the Regional and Language applet and see if the Far East pack is installed. Note that this is different from Hebrew and Arabic support..

Mike

Default So far so good here.

I did the install of East Asian languages. I don't know Korean or Chinese so I can't speak to much of its use, but the characters appear fine and so far no unusual program quirks, but I also haven't played around much to try to make it do anything demanding.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    The only reason I can think of that they would not show up is that the Far East language support is not installed.
    You are correct. I thought it was installed previously because I can display Chinese in e-Sword, etc.

However, when I went to control panel and tried to enable support, it tells me it needs file x, and to insert my CD. Of course, since my computer already came with XP installed, and since I didn't get a CD, and since the required files don't appear to be anywhere on my computer, I guess I'm stuck until I buy a Vista CD or something. -

No big deal. I don't really need those langauges anyway.

Default No CD

If your system came with XP installed the files may be on your hard drive somewhere.
    Mike

If your system came with XP installed the files may be on your hard drive somewhere.
    Mike

I run XP installed and it found the files it needed on the harddrive, didn't even ask to find them or insert a CD.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Nope. I searched my HD for the requested files, and no joy. But like I said, no big deal. As long as the Arabic works, which it does, I'm happy.

I'd be more than happy to help test the Arabic, but my computer has no internet access, and these updates (as I've posted before) aren't on the download page. So, I just don't have access to them.
    Ben

Default Trouble to install the chinse version in Chinese XP

When I installed the new Chinese upsate to my Chinese Xp, it did not show up anything. Could someone help me
    thanks