Thread: User databases that work in BW8

Hybrid View

Default User databases that work in BW8

Does anyone know which user databases work in BW8? I had installed several, including Classical language ones, in BW7. If it is easier, I'd take a list of which ones don't work either.

The "Master List" on the forum only points to a blog now. Apparently, the link used to go to a page with a list of all addons, but now it simply points to the front page of the blog. I'm guessing that many are on the blog, but I don't want to mess up my BW8 installation because I don't have enough information.

Thanks!
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

So far everyone that I have tried works in BW 8. And actually if you already had them installed they should still be on your computer. All you need to do is find your BW 7 file in program files on your computer. The uninstall feature of BW 7 only uninstalls the program itself and nothing user created, including the extra modules and the usernotes, all you have to do is transport your old files into the new BW 8 files and they should work.
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

Chris gave you the quickest way I know. Just copy the left over files into your \databases\ folder. In other words, all the user modules will still work in BW8 with one caveat. Mark Eddy (a man of immeasurable attention to details) has notified me that a few of the user modules may conflict with book names of certain new versions in BW8. He has even been good enough to tell me of which these are and how I could fix them. The real problem is I have not yet put this all together in a blog post to let ppl know. But otherwise, you shouldn't encounter any problems nor should you have to redownload the files.

Also note, if you click on any of the "tabs" across the top of the BibleWorks blog page (e.g. "Home" "Color Files" "Diagrams" etc.), you can see everything (and more) that was on the "master-list". The list got too long and unwieldy so that we put everything in one place on the blog pages.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Migrating BW7 to BW8

I also posted some additional things you can do to bring your BW7 settings into BW8 HERE.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Once Michael Hanel updates his blog, BW8 users will have to get new versions of Tacitus (Latin and English), Pausanius, and Sophocles, and the book name abbreviation file (.bna).
    There were conflicts between the book abbreviations these works used in BW7 with some new books in the base package of BW8. The new .bna file should contain all books shipped with BW plus all user versions on the blog. So you will not have to add book abbreviations yourself, until Michael comes up with some new databases .
    Mark Eddy

I look forward to that. When I was doing Classics (late 80s and early 90s) we had nothing computerized. If you needed help, you had to search out a Loeb!
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)