Thread: Migrating BW7 customizations to BW8

Default Migrating BW7 customizations to BW8

I've just upgraded to BW8 and posted some initial observations re: installation on my blog. Now... how do I get all my customizations in BW7 into BW8? I can't seem to find any suggestions or directions on migrating...

I have emailed the following steps to the BW tech, but I know they are busy, so I'm going to go ahead and share them here. NOTE: These steps worked for me, but please don't use my advice and then bug the BW staff if something goes wrong! I.e., use these at your own risk. Still, if you customized (external links, user-created databases, etc.) BW7, my time-comsuming experimentation may save you a lot of time.

If someone discovers or knows of a problem with any of these directions, please share them here.

In BW8, you now have the wonderful External Resources Manager (ERMIE), but you still have access to the resources you linked using the External Link Manager. These links are invoked via right mouse clicks in the Results pane. BW8 does import your BW7 links.
    UPDATE: In the BW8, INIT directory, make a copy of the ShellExec.txt file just in case... Then you can preserve all your BW7 external links simply by copying over the ShellExec.txt in BW7 / INIT and replacing the one in BW8.
    [OLD use UPDATED info: It appears not to have enabled them by default. So, open the External Link Manager (via button bar or else Resources > Edit External Links), and you will need to enable any links you had added to BW7. That is, go through each item and check the "Enable this link" box. You will see that a number of links are set to open in ERMIE now.]

Moving files from BW7 to BW8:
    As a general rule, unless you are sure, do not overwrite any files in BW8.
    In the ASE directory (used to store searches run using the Graphical Search Engine and Verse List Manager files), you can copy over any IEL (inclusion/exclusion lists) and QF files (these are the queries) and VLS (verse lists) files.
    In the DATABASE directory, you can copy over any CLR files (color files for text highlighting). I also copied over all the sets of CHD/CHM/SDX files that I had added to BW7 (these are the help files linked into the Resources tab), but don't overwrite any files in BW8. I also copied over the sets of BWW/DBU/DVX/VMC/VMF/WDC files that were installed from user-created databases. Moving these files will allow you to use them in BW8 without having to go through the process of compiling/installing them.
    In the INIT directory, move over any VDO (Version Display Order) files. Move over any VRC/VRT sets which are used for the flashcards. Move over any SDF files (synoptics files).
    Before starting any new notes in BW8, move over everything from your BW7 NOTES directory and overwrite everything in the BW8 NOTES subdirectory.

For More Advanced Users:
    If you created many version or display favorites in BW7, they will not be imported automatically into BW8. You will need to edit the bw800.ini file located in the BibleWorks8 root directory.
    FIRST, MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR BW800.ini FILE so you can restore it if things go bad.
    Next, open the bw700.ini from the BibleWorks7 root directory in Notepad. Open bw800.ini in another Notepad.
    Here are typical changes you can look for, and the idea is to copy/paste/replace the ones from BW7 into BW8.

• FavoritesNames=
    • Favorites=
    • PFavoritesNames=
    • (I think you can also copy over the varbcolors, vartcolors, CustomColors, rcdiff, diffcolors, and enablediff settings as well)
    • sdiffvers0/1/2/3=
    • ParallelFavorites=

The rest of the settings I suggest you manage in BW8 rather than try to copy over.
    Last edited by MGVH; 01-21-2009 at 12:23 AM.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default What about tab settings?

I had created and saved a number of tab settings in BW7. They are saved as SWC files in the INIT directory. I can seemingly open these in BW8, but they don't appear to do anything. Any suggestions?
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Default bw800ini file

I just found this post from BW's Charlie from 2006 on migrating from BW6 to BW7. He also indicates how to transfer timeline and diagram files.
    Question: He seems to indicate that it was possible simply to use the previous version bw###.INI file in the new version. Will the bw700.ini work in BW8 simply by copying it, renaming it and replacing the bw800.ini?
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    If someone discovers or knows of a problem with any of these directions, please share them here.

In BW8, you now have the wonderful External Resources Manager (ERMIE), but you still have access to the resources you linked using the External Link Manager. These links are invoked via right mouse clicks in the Results pane. BW8 does import your BW7 links,...
    No, BW8 does NOT import your BW7 links. BW8 just includes the same standards links as BW7. I made a couple links of my own, and none of them copied over to BW8. I'll have to read the Help file to find out where they are stored, since there is no file of External Links which I can find in the BW7 folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Will the bw700.ini work in BW8 simply by copying it, renaming it and replacing the bw800.ini?
    No, you cannot simply copy the BW700.ini file into BW8. There are some new lines in the BW800.ini file, so if you simply overwrote it, certain functions of BW8 would not be supported. The fact that there are new versions in BW8 would make the Versionorder line the wrong length. That means, that BW8 would re-initialize, and wipe out all of your saved settings from BW7. Instead, you need to use Wordpad or Notepad to copy the important lines (such as those you noted) of the BW700.ini file into the BW800.ini file. This must be done while BW8 is closed.
    Mark Eddy

As far as external links, I modified the shell exec file in the init folder in BW8 to include the links I made in BW7 rather than go through a process of editing the links within the program. It worked.

Migration should be handled automatically by the update with instructions provided to do it manually. It is too easy to assume something transferred over and delete it.

Default ShellExec.txt links

I wasn't paying close enough attention to note that indeed the external links are not carried over from BW7 to BW8.
    As Joan notes, they are in the ShellExec.txt file.
    BUT
    instead of editing the ShellExec.txt file in BW8, I compared it to my BW7 one. The only thing in that file is the links, so the easiest thing to do is simply copy the BW7 ShellExec.txt and replace the one in BW8.
    It works for me...
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman