Thread: Anyone Tried the "Audio" Feature Yet?

Default Anyone Tried the "Audio" Feature Yet?

Hello All,

Over on the BW8 Home Page, on the Full Contents listing, under Program Features is the following ....

Who does it sound like? David Hawking? Wall-E? Robbie the Robot? Francis the Talking Mule? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSaunders View Post
    Hello All,

Over on the BW8 Home Page, on the Full Contents listing, under Program Features is the following ....

Who does it sound like? David Hawking? Wall-E? Robbie the Robot? Francis the Talking Mule? Just curious.

A non-answer answer. As far as I know talking is only as good as the "voice" file that you have. Microsoft Vista comes with a few voices, which I imagine are not exactly the best. But if you search around (and spend money), you can add on voices that will sound less computer-y and more realistic. So the way the text will read (as I understand it), has less to do with anything in BW8 and more to do with what voices you have installed in Vista.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    A non-answer answer. As far as I know talking is only as good as the "voice" file that you have. Microsoft Vista comes with a few voices, which I imagine are not exactly the best. But if you search around (and spend money), you can add on voices that will sound less computer-y and more realistic. So the way the text will read (as I understand it), has less to do with anything in BW8 and more to do with what voices you have installed in Vista.
    Michael, the stuff that you know is truly amazing. Thanks for the answer.

I'll admit it. I can't find this audio feature. I've searched the online help files. I've right-clicked english texts in the browse window. I've checked all the pull-down menus, but I can't find this. I see as good as a WWE referee.

Would you be so kind as to supply one more non-answer answer and tell me where to access this. I'm itching to hear my computer talk God's word.

Thank you!

Are you asking how to access this in BibleWorks 8 or how to find more voices? In BW8 (I've heard that it can work in XP, but I was never able to get it to work on my computer--It's supposed to be native to Vista), you look under "Tools: Viewing the Text: Read the Text"

If you want to find voices, do a google for "microsoft voices" or the like. Check here also.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Are you asking how to access this in BibleWorks 8 or how to find more voices? In BW8 (I've heard that it can work in XP, but I was never able to get it to work on my computer--It's supposed to be native to Vista), you look under "Tools: Viewing the Text: Read the Text"

If you want to find voices, do a google for "microsoft voices" or the like. Check here also.
    Awesome! I can't tell you how many times ('cause I'd be embarrassed if I did) how many times I've looked at the Tools: Viewing the Text and never saw the "Read the Text." This is why so many blatant infractions happen when I'm the ref.

My Vista 64 bit sounds like HAL 9000 on some serious estrogen. I'm definitely going to google other voices.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    CORRECTION: My voice is apparently "Anna" who just so happens to sound like HAL on Estrogen shots.

Last edited by SCSaunders; 03-04-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Default Voices

The best voices by far are the AT&T Natural Voices. Unfortunately we cannot license them and they are not available directly for AT&T. The best way to get them is go to www.nextup.com. You have to buy a little text to voice application before you can buy the voices. Be careful because some voices can only be used in the Nextup application (because of licensing constraints). But once installed the AT&T voices can be used in other applications like BibleWorks. The voice that sounds most natural to me is the AT&T Audrey file. I attach a sample created in BibleWorks.

TTS technology has come a long way. Unfortunately the voice files are pretty expensive.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    The best voices by far are the AT&T Natural Voices. Unfortunately we cannot license them and they are not available directly for AT&T. The best way to get them is go to www.nextup.com. You have to buy a little text to voice application before you can buy the voices. Be careful because some voices can only be used in the Nextup application (because of licensing constraints). But once installed the AT&T voices can be used in other applications like BibleWorks. The voice that sounds most natural to me is the AT&T Audrey file. I attach a sample created in BibleWorks.

TTS technology has come a long way. Unfortunately the voice files are pretty expensive.
    That was way cool! Thanks for posting. I think Anna is going to get very jealous of Audry. Audry's voice has to be more popular and all.

I'm going to look into this whole audio thing. I think is pretty darn cool

I cannot get the voice to work in BW, but it does in Libronix. From what I understand they both use the text to speech feature.

Any suggestions.
    Numbers 6:24-26
    יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה וְיִשְׁמְרֶךָ׃
    יָאֵר יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ וִיחֻנֶּךָּ׃
    יִשָּׂא יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֹם׃

Default Directions confused me

I was not able to find this using the directions given. I was able to get BW8 to read scripture text by going to Tools, then Viewing the Text and then selecting Read Text at the bottom of the list. It sounds like a fairly smooth computer. Female voice. I have Vista for my operating system. It would be really interesting to hear Modern Hebrew pronunciation of the Hebrew text and Modern Greek pronunciation of the Biblical Greek text...especially if was smooth and realistic.

Thanks for this post. I learned something about BW today.