Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Navigating Schaff's "Fathers"

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    If you want to search for a particular spot in a particular volume, it's fairly easy to do...

Under the Contents menu, open the particular volume you want to search, in your case Vol II. Select the section you want to search. Make sure you click WITHIN that section to set the cursor focus.

Now hit the Ctrl+F key. This will open the Find dialog box. Merely type in your search criteria and the criteria, if it exists, will automatically be highlighted in the document.
    Thanks, this is very helpful. Do you know a way to find something if the only reference you have is a page # and Vol. II for information. Maybe the info I have is not accurate. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Boston View Post
    Thanks, this is very helpful. Do you know a way to find something if the only reference you have is a page # and Vol. II for information. Maybe the info I have is not accurate. Thanks for your help.
    No, I don't know how that could be done. The page numbers are going to vary from publisher to publisher. The only thing you can do that I'm aware of is narrow down what section of what work of what author and then try to connect it from there.

Default Depends on the edition being cited.

Jordan,

The BibleWorks copy does include the original page numbers in the text, with lines between pages. If the citation you are looking for is from the same edition as is in BW it doesn't take too long to find a specific page.

The BW copy has all the original publishing information; note that often you have to get title page or similar stuff by clicking on folders, not just the text indicators. Also, each volume is broken up into many smaller chunks, so to find a given page in a given volume you may have to go into a number of the smaller chunks to find the one you want. Each volume is presented in page order, so it isn't too hard.

I tried looking up page numbers using Scott's method, but that only works if the chunk you are in has that page in it.
    I tried looking up page numbers in the search facility in the left pane, but couldn't figure out how to limit it to a volume, or even identify the volume where a find was listed. Also, most of the numbers I found were cross references to a page.

So the easiest way is to browse. If, of course the BW edition is the one cited in your reference.

I know this is all rather confusing -- the BW Fathers is a complex critter. I strongly suggest spending some time getting to know it, learning some of its idiosyncrasies, learning to recognize where the volume breaks are, and such like. When in doubt, click on the critter. Nothing may happen, or you might discover something new. Oh, and don't be confused by BW calling it "Schaff's Fathers". I think Schaff was only involved in the 2nd and 3rd series.

--Jim

Hey Jim, I couldn't help but notice your location. I just returned from your fair city.

Irving

Smile Thanks for the help

Thanks for taking the time to help me guys. I appreciate it.

-Jordan