Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: Navigating Schaff's "Fathers"

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toph View Post
    By now, I got an email from Glenn Weaver, confirming that this is an oversight and will be fixed shortly.
    Almost 3 months later of patient waiting and I still haven't seen this rectified, although I keep applying every patch released.

    One of the reasons I upgraded was for this module but it has become a real nuisance not knowing who wrote the homily etc that I am referred to.

    Any timeframe on when this will be fixed?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitwalker View Post
    One of the reasons I upgraded was for this module but it has become a real nuisance not knowing who wrote the homily etc that I am referred to.
    It's not why I upgraded, but I do also find it frustrating. It's very difficult to find out who is saying what. I have to find the phrase in BW and then search for it in another program to find out who the author is. A fix would be stupendous.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    915

    Default

    For what it's worth, I pointed out this problem last fall in beta testing. It will take a person manually to go through all the duplicates and give them separate names. There are also places where various works are split between two different headings. I'm sure that BW8 is prioritizing the fixes which need to be made. This is not so much a bug for the programmers as it is a job for the database compiler.
    There are still a few databased from BW7 which have not been corrected (e.g. chapter divisions in Comfort and Barrett), probably because they are purchased and used less than others. But if someone offers to help Glenn out, maybe he'll accept it, and the project can be completed sooner. I can't hurt to ask.
    Mark Eddy

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    For what it's worth, I pointed out this problem last fall in beta testing. It will take a person manually to go through all the duplicates and give them separate names. There are also places where various works are split between two different headings. I'm sure that BW8 is prioritizing the fixes which need to be made. This is not so much a bug for the programmers as it is a job for the database compiler.
    There are still a few databased from BW7 which have not been corrected (e.g. chapter divisions in Comfort and Barrett), probably because they are purchased and used less than others. But if someone offers to help Glenn out, maybe he'll accept it, and the project can be completed sooner. I can't hurt to ask.
    Mark Eddy
    From what I understand when I've emailed about this, a fix is in the works, I think they just want to get it right completely. The problem is that if they release this as a bug fix to be downloaded through the updater, the update is going to be a pretty big file (I think it's like 100 MB). Because of costs of bandwidth and such, you want to release it right all at once rather than release it multiple times. So I do know they are on it, but I do not know what their timeline is.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    From what I understand when I've emailed about this, a fix is in the works, I think they just want to get it right completely. The problem is that if they release this as a bug fix to be downloaded through the updater, the update is going to be a pretty big file (I think it's like 100 MB). Because of costs of bandwidth and such, you want to release it right all at once rather than release it multiple times. So I do know they are on it, but I do not know what their timeline is.
    Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. It would be best to only have to download it once when it's complete.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    839

    Default Ecf

    This problem has been fixed. But we are also at the same time converting the Greek to Unicode and we need to get it right. The files are too large to repost. The post will probably overload our server, especially now that we have update notifications, and we can't afford to do that very often.

    For what it is worth, we are human beings, and like all human beings, we respond better to requests than complaints. I have stayed up until the wee hours of the morning, more times than I can count, to help out a single user who asked nicely for a bug fix or a new feature. Complaints seldom keep me up late.

    Mike

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    536

    Default Please be patient

    We are working on the Early Church Fathers. The navigation is completed already. It addresses all of the concerns I have heard. The navigation is easy to use, and it is easy to see who wrote the different works. The text synchronizes with the Table of Contents. We also added 'Previous | Next' navigation at the bottom of each page, so it is easy to go from one page to the next.

    We are currently converting the ECF Greek font so that it can use the new SBL Greek Unicode font. This is what is holding up the release of the module. Due to the size of the module, it has to be correct when we release it, as it will cost a bit for the bandwidth.

    I know, it is frustrating. But it will be there as soon as we can make sure that it is done correctly. I'm sorry for the delay.
    Glenn Weaver

    For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    I know, it is frustrating. But it will be there as soon as we can make sure that it is done correctly. I'm sorry for the delay.
    It's not in the least bit frustrating when we know that you're working on it. I think some might have thought that the fix for this went by the wayside and had been forgotten.

    It might be helpful for you or someone else from BW to post on this forum from time to time the current top priorities that are being addressed back in the shop. I don't mean spontaneous bug fixes and such, but the main gist of what's going on. Just a thought, FWIW.

    Otherwise, I think everybody appreciates your hard work, and any time I can find a way to keep Bushell up late, I'm all for it.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    839

    Default Fair Enough

    Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    It's not in the least bit frustrating when we know that you're working on it. I think some might have thought that the fix for this went by the wayside and had been forgotten.

    It might be helpful for you or someone else from BW to post on this forum from time to time the current top priorities that are being addressed back in the shop. I don't mean spontaneous bug fixes and such, but the main gist of what's going on. Just a thought, FWIW.

    Otherwise, I think everybody appreciates your hard work, and any time I can find a way to keep Bushell up late, I'm all for it.
    OK, fair enough. Right now I am just working my way through miscellaneous fixes left over after the release. After that I will be switching most of my time to long-standing project to clean up some of our Greek New Testament databases and release some original transcriptions of NT manuscripts. I am hopeful that we will be able to release Vaticanus, SInaiticus, Alexandrinus and Bezae by the late Fall. We also have completely redone and very carefully proofed Westcott-Hort and Scrivener's texts in the wings. The ones we have now have way too many errors. The new ones should be essentially error free and by far the best electronic texts of these versions available. How's that for a teaser. Michael is working now on adding the ability in the RVT and PMT to find verses across versions. Glenn is working on Schaff and after that has a long list of new modules, like an Aramaic grammar for the base package and many more. So we are not twiddling our thumbs. We just can't do everything at once. Folks need to remember that BW is very complicated and we only have 2 programmers, and one inhouse content developer. We work really hard for our users and don't take any of you for granted, even if we can't do eveything that everyone wants - while keeping the price way down.

    Mike

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    So we are not twiddling our thumbs. We just can't do everything at once. Folks need to remember that BW is very complicated and we only have 2 programmers, and one inhouse content developer. We work really hard for our users and don't take any of you for granted, even if we can't do eveything that everyone wants - while keeping the price way down.

    Mike
    Very tantalizing! Forgive your users, for we too are human. Especially since many of your users are in the line of the ministry, it's easy to find an analogy. Just because many people only see their pastor on Sunday, doesn't mean that he just works that day and gets the rest of them off. If you've ever been a pastor, you'd know how much other "stuff" the rest of the week is filled with. Or if you're in academic work, just because you see your prof 2 or 3 times a week doesn't mean he sits in his office and plays solitaire. If you've ever had to prepare a class you'd know how demanding it is! But just as people misjudge the work of others without ever having done it, it's really easy to misjudge how much time all of you BW people take to get these things done when we only get to sit in front of our computer and get to enjoy the fruit of your labor. Some people in the past have said there are too many yes-men on these forums, but even if there were a dozen of us here who constantly were singing of your hard labors, I think you'd still go under-appreciated. Many thanks for the work (and for the previews!!)!
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •