Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BibleWorks 8 - Word Statistics Listbox Removed?

Default BibleWorks 8 - Word Statistics Listbox Removed?

In earlier versions of BibleWorks, I've always made significant use of the Word Statistics Listbox which could optionally be displayed in the Search Window.

As far as I can find, the nearest thing to it in BW8 is the Wildcard Expansion of the Command Line section in the Words Tab of the Analysis Window. However this really does not have the same functionality.

Before I trouble the folks at BibleWorks with a request to restore this feature, can anyone confirm that it really is missing?

Thanks,

John
    --
    John Kendall
    Cardiff
    Wales

Hi John,

If you select Words in the analysis box and search on a lemma, does this provide you the information you are looking for?

Smile

Hi John:

I could be mistaken and I am not at my BWW machine but I thought I saw the List box info over in the Analysis area on one of the tabs now.

Quote Originally Posted by jfidel View Post
    If you select Words in the analysis box and search on a lemma, does this provide you the information you are looking for?
    No, I'm afraid not, as I indicate above. In BW7's Word Statistics List Box, the data is persistent and you can click on any of the entries one after the other. Only one initial search is required. In the Wildcard Expansion of the Command Line section in the Words Tab of the Analysis Window, if you click on a word, the data isn't persistent. Only the entry you clicked remains. As far as I can figure, this means that you have to repeat the search to recover the full set of data. It makes what was once an easy task so much more laborious.

Sorry if this seems a bit exotic, but I've found the Word Statistics List Box to be a useful tool for a number of odd tasks (e.g. producing worksheets with verses containing selected forms of -μι verbs or checking the accents on various forms of a word). Of course, there are other ways of carrying out such tasks, but the Word Statistics List Box was always quick and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by bshauger View Post
    I could be mistaken and I am not at my BWW machine but I thought I saw the List box info over in the Analysis area on one of the tabs now.
    As I mention above, it's not quite the same tool and, unless I've misunderstood it, its a lot less convenient to use.

Thanks for your input.

John

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but on the command line, if you type in English, Greek, or Hebrew, a pop up box appears for me under the command line, that shows the spelling and the number of times that the word appears. In BW7 this used to be a window all by itself, now it appears as a pop up window under the command line.
    Numbers 6:24-26
    יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה וְיִשְׁמְרֶךָ׃
    יָאֵר יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ וִיחֻנֶּךָּ׃
    יִשָּׂא יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֹם׃

Hi Ken,

No, I'm afraid it's not the same thing. It's a nice feature and could be used for such tasks, but it would require repeated searches. From a single search, the Word Statistics List Box displayed a persistent set of data from which you could select individual results without repeating the search.

Thanks anyway.

John

Quote Originally Posted by J Kendall View Post
    Hi Ken,

No, I'm afraid it's not the same thing. It's a nice feature and could be used for such tasks, but it would require repeated searches. From a single search, the Word Statistics List Box displayed a persistent set of data from which you could select individual results without repeating the search.

Thanks anyway.

John
    John,

Based on what I've been able to determine, I have BW7 on one computer and BW8 on another, both Ken and you are correct.

First - In the Online Help, The "Word Statistics List Box" is a part of "The Search Window" chapter in version 7, but not in version 8. If you run a search in 8, it shows up, and though the link takes you to "The Search Window" chapter, nothing is mentioned.

Second - When you begin to type on the command line in both versions, the exact same list shows up. In version 7 it's the full list and in its own scalable, permanent box. In version 8 it's a section of the same list, located where Ken mentioned.

Third - Once you run the search, you are correct, the list box does not remain.

Finally - Since what the list provided was essentially cognates, the wildcard "*" option is probably the closest. But as you mentioned, not the same as before.

My conclusion, it's probably gone, not exactly the same as it was in version 7.

Scott
    Last edited by SCSaunders; 01-16-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks for the confirmation, Scott. I'll make a request once the current busyness has calmed down for the BibleWorks staff.

John

Quote Originally Posted by J Kendall View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation, Scott. I'll make a request once the current busyness has calmed down for the BibleWorks staff.

John
    Sounds cool bro.

I do not know if it is completely gone in BW8, if you open the "Words" tab in the "Resource" section, then as you type the list updates and changes. The only thing it does not have is the accent marks.

Michael Hanel, on the blog site, http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/ writes about the word manager. See the blog dated December 16, 2008. Maybe this will help some.
    Numbers 6:24-26
    יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה וְיִשְׁמְרֶךָ׃
    יָאֵר יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ וִיחֻנֶּךָּ׃
    יִשָּׂא יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֹם׃