Thread: Problem with windows in BW8

Default Problem with windows in BW8

I have used BW from BW5 on but am having a real problem with BW8, which I just installed. Windows, such as "Version Display Order" and similar, have no "slide" control on the right, prohibiting me from seeing the screen in its entirety. For example, the versions are displayed on this screen but I cannot see the checkboxes below the version list and have no way to move down the screen. BW7worked flawlessly on my laptop. I do not think the problem is my laptop. I am running Vista and had zero problems with BW7 in this regard. Any suggestions?

John C.
    Mebane, NC

Default No problem here

The Version Display Order dialog is a fixed width dialog, so is it possible that the slider is off your screen?

Also try toggling between Show Active only and Show All versions. Does that make any difference?

Default Several fixed width dialogs are truncated

I noticed the problem in edit favorites dialog, but version order and others associated with the search and display options are cut off on the right hand side.
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

Default A screen resolution problem

My desktop is set up with a 19 inch wide screen monitor at 1440 x 900 pixels.
    Now that I am almost 60, if I don't want to be hunched over the desk with my reading glasses on, I have my video settings set for large fonts with a 120 dpi setting instead of the windows standard 96.
    When I reset my video for normal fonts, all the dialogs that were flowing off the right side of the dialog box are fine. Have not seen this kind of problem with a windows program in quite a few years. It used to be very common.
    This problem was present in about 1/2 of the option screens, sometime buttons were missing or cut in half, I really hate to run with tiny fonts, and sit with my nose against the monitor. But I don't know what else I can do.
    SkipB

RJ Blackburn

Default follow up

The options screens behave normally if you change font size under the appearance tab of display properties in windows.
    But changing the font size that way does not make everything proportionally more legible. That is why I have always used the advanced option under the settings tab to change the dpi of the display. But that interferes now with the coding of the fixed size of the BW8 option window. I guess there will be necessary compromises and adjustments in how we work, kind of paying the admission price to new functions in BW.
    SkipB

RJ Blackburn

Default Problem solved--sort of.

To "SkipB" and Philip Brown,

Thanks for your imput. I changed the Windows fonts from 110 dpi (custom) to the default 96 dpi. This solved the windows sizing problem but now the windows fonts seem really small, especially at age 64! Maybe, the guys at BW will address this problem. Aw, bifocals aren't that bad!

John C.
    Mebane, NC

Default Fix posted for this

If you have installed the latest updates -- Help > BibleWorks on the Web > Check for updates, then you should be able to change your windows settings back to your preferred dpi.

Default Better with Limits

I have played with different display dpi settings. The highest setting that works for me is 113% at 108 dpi. Which is close enough to my original setting of 115% to be usable. But if someone was using the large setting at 125% it would be a noticable down-sizing.
    This is a combination of presbyopia and technological advancement. As flat panels have increased their resolution in more compact sizes, (mine is 1440 x900 in a 19" wide screen - or just slightly smaller than a tabloid size sheet of paper, rougly 10.3 x 16.5) they give great detail for page layout and writing with several pages open at a time. But in some apps the fonts get very tiny. Using the font size adjustment in windows appearance tab of video settings only increases certain things and the increase makes other things look awkward and disproportional. The change of dpi in the advanced settings tab was actually designed to customize displays to tune the relationship between a printed page and a video screen. That's why the ruler and the print samples are there. I really appreciate the fix. There are probably more of us using BW 8.0 who are 60+ then there were even as far back as 2002 when I upgraded to vs 5. Kind of a graying of the pc, as it were.
    Thanks again to Mike and everyone who work so hard at this.
    SkipB

RJ Blackburn