Thread: BW8 Check for Updates

Default BW8 Check for Updates

I installed BW8 and all modules without any glitches. But, when I checked for updates, there were two "Executable beta" updates. I know they were in the recommended box, but the word "beta" makes me wonder why I would want to download those patches. It is most likely the right thing to do but can anyone address the "beta" issue? Since installation went so well, I don't want to cause myself any problems. Thanks for your help.

And a big thanks to Bibleworks staff--the installation instructions and email with all the activation codes worked perfectly!

[quote=Joan Korte;15737]I installed BW8 and all modules without any glitches. But, when I checked for updates, there were two "Executable beta" updates. I know they were in the recommended box, but the word "beta" makes me wonder why I would want to download those patches. It is most likely the right thing to do but can anyone address the "beta" issue? Since installation went so well, I don't want to cause myself any problems. Thanks for your help.

I almost sent a message like this a couple of days ago. I'm always leery of anything labeled "beta" because I've done a fair amount of beta testing for developers and to my mind the term "beta" suggests that you're taking some real chances if you download the version.

I second the motion for someone at BibleWorks to explain why a "beta" version is "recommended."

Default Beta label

We just forgot to remove the beta label. The update is safe. I will repost it with the beta tag removed.
    Mike

I've performed the updates, with the "Beta" labels. Everything works great, and the current version (8.0.005v.1) does not indicate Beta. It's safe...
    Steve Watkins
    First Baptist Church, San Lorenzo Valley
    www.slvbaptist.org

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    We just forgot to remove the beta label. The update is safe. I will repost it with the beta tag removed.
    Thanks Mike

6. Default

I too was wondering about the "beta" reference. I had gone ahead and downloaded it, assuming it was safe and legit (gullible, aren't I? ).
    In Him, Bennett B. Wethered
    Pastor, Dayspring Orthodox Presbyterian Church
    Warrenton/New Baltimore, Virginia
    www.dayspringopc.org

I just installed BW8 and in the process of registering the product I got a notice of an upgrade. After the upgrade installed I got a notice that the exe file could not be installed because BW8 wasn't closed. I then closed the application, after completing my registration, and reopened the program. When I checked for program updates the system indicated no updates were available.

That seemed a little odd if the previous update didn't take. In any event when I checked "about" the version that shows is BW 8.0.005s.1. Is that the latest version?

I don't have 8, but theoretically, you can go and see all the patches and updates, and download them manually from http://bibleworks.com/programupdates.html
    Ben

Ben,

Thanks for your response. I had already done that and for BW8 you're directed to the update function inside the application. The other link, which I imagine is an alternative update process, is broken.