Thread: Palm vs. Pocket PC & Bible Software

Default Palm vs. Pocket PC & Bible Software

Ok folks, I know that BW will never support a Palm or WinCE platform, but I would like to purchase a new handheld and want to know what your collective experience is regarding Bible software.

What's the best handheld software for reading the original texts on a handheld?
    What's the most flexible?
    What platform is best? Windows or Palm?

Thanks for your help!

~Jim
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

I have a Handspring (Palm) that I am happy with. The OliveTree package is very nice.

If I were buying now, though, I would hold off until the handheld PCs start to come out this fall. They look very promising. If they take off, I'm not sure I see much need for Palms or PocketPCs.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=oqo
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...-8&q=flipstart

Of course if you need something now, neither the OQO nor the FlipStart are shipping!
    Michael

Default Holy moly!

Holy Cow! That's awesome. The OQO looks amazing. I could then be running Bibleworks in the pew at church. (I'll just sit on the back row so I don't distract people!)

Have you heard anything about how much these models would cost?

Thanks for the heads up Michael.

~Jim
    Last edited by jdarlack; 06-30-2004 at 02:08 PM.

Default Very Awesome Stuff!!

OK! I am kicking my self for buying a Pocket PC last year! Thankfuly, I bought it eBay for a good price.

This is what I have been waiting for! I can only imagine how much they will cost in their first year

Oh! To be ahead of the technology game!!!!
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Here's something similar that's out already: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/notebo...y_vaio_U50.htm

For the Palm Pilot I enjoy using the free PalmBible+ which scrolls two Bibles parallel and now includes pointed Hebrew, the LXX, Greek New Testaments and many English Bibles and commentaries. Sure beats shelling out so much for Olive Tree!

I personally think both platforms have their advantages/disadvantages.

I use Bible With You by Gmpsoft, I have found it to be by far the fastest for doing searches. Plus they come out with new updates rather often, and once you buy it you get free updates for life. I personally bought the NASB package. They also have the NA26 available and will have the Hebrew OT in the future.

The advantage of Olive Tree is that you can get a package from Gramcord to work with it.

I am under the impression that the reason Laridian is so popular is that they are the only ones with the NIV.

I have a Sony TG50. It is perfect for my needs. Unfortunately it looks like Sony is discontinuing PDA sales at this point.

If you decide on a Palm device, wait until Palm OS 6.0 is released.

I think those mini PC's will run from $600 on up depending on how much power you need.

Default Hi diddilly-dee, a Tungsten T3 for me...

So, I purchased my new toy...

I chose a Palm instead of a Pocket PC because of software purchased in the past. I am not holding out for the new tiny PC's, 'cause 2,600 clams is outside of my budget....now if they'd just put out a wi-fi card for the T3.

I downloaded PalmBible+ and I am loving it. (See my post to another Palm related thread...http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sho...89&postcount=9).

I will restate my question here. Has anyone had any luck converting BW databases for personal use (keeping in mind copyrights, etc.)? Also, do the folks at BW have any opinions or caveats for those who may be interested in doing so?

~Jim

I converted the NASB for use with PalmBible+ a while back. If you go to Sourceforge you should be able to find the conversion tools. I believe they have a conversion tool for the output of the Bibleworks print to text feature.

Actually I just looked and I had it bookmarked:
    Creating a Bible

If I recall they also have some forums and the people are there are pretty helpful.

Sorry Jim,

I just looked and realized you put that link in your other post. So to answer, yes I was able to compile it.

Ethically, I figured I had paid the NASB licensing fee 4 separate times so I felt comfortable doing it for my own use.

Let me know what you need help with and I'll try to be of service...