Thread: Luther Bibel & BW8

Default Luther Bibel & BW8

The 1545 Luther Bible is omitted in the listing of German Bibles in the brochure. I hope this is an oversight???

L45, the Luther Bible (minus apocrypha) was included in the beta version of BW8, so I'm sure it is an oversight that it is lacking from the brochure. The updated LUT version (including apocrypha), however, will not be in BW8 due to licensing issues with the Bible society in German which holds the copyright. For BW7 users, however, we may still use LUT. You will have to save all the LUT files outside of BW7 before you uninstall BW7, so that they can be pasted into the BW8 databases folder.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    L45, the Luther Bible (minus apocrypha) was included in the beta version of BW8, so I'm sure it is an oversight that it is lacking from the brochure. The updated LUT version (including apocrypha), however, will not be in BW8 due to licensing issues with the Bible society in German which holds the copyright. For BW7 users, however, we may still use LUT. You will have to save all the LUT files outside of BW7 before you uninstall BW7, so that they can be pasted into the BW8 databases folder.
    Thanks for the info and the heads-up.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    Mark,

Just to clarify something, all I need do is copy the contents of my current BW7 databases folder into the BW8 databases folder and I will have access to all my current modules?

Bob
    No, I wouldn't do it that way. BW suggests that you uninstall BW7 before you install BW 8. When you uninstall BW7 (or previous) all the files which came directly from BW will be deleted. That would include LUT and other official versions. Uninstall does not delete user databases. So, since LUT shipped with BW in earlier versions, it would be deleted by "uninstall."
    Secondly, many of the databases in BW7 have been corrected for BW8 (yes, BW is NOT inerrant). If you simply copied all your BW7 databases into BW8, you would overwrite corrected versions, and probably mess up the patch process, if future corrections were to be made for those versions. You do not want to copy your whole BW7 database contents into BW8.
    So you have two options. You can export any versions in BW7 which will not be in BW8 and recompile them as user databases (with a new version abbreviation, not used by any other database). Some of us did that for the old New Living Translation a few years ago. That way these versions would be saved when you uninstall BW7.
    The other option (probably easier) would be to find which databases you need to save (e.g. all the LUT files in the BW7 databases folder) and copy them to a thumb drive or "My documents" or anywhere outside of BW7. Then after you uninstall BW7 and install BW8 you can move them into the BW8 databases folder.
    Be sure you do this before you set up your version display order in BW8, because adding a new version wipes out the Display Order line in your BW8 initialization file, and you'll have to set up your display order all over again.
    Clear?
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 12-12-2008 at 08:56 AM.

Default Luther Bible

The 1545 Luther Bible is included in BibleWorks 8.

The LUT 1984 version is not included in BW8 for new users. We were unable to come to an agreement satisfactory to both BibleWorks and the copyright holder, so we are unable to include it for new users. It is not available as an add-on module for new users, since we do not sell Bible versions as add-on modules.

If you are upgrading from a previous version of BibleWorks, you will be sent an activation code for the LUT Bible. The LUT files are already on the BW8 disk, but will not be accessible unless you have the activation code.

You do not have to copy the LUT files from a previous version--in fact, I recommend not doing that. It could cause difficulties on your system if you do that. Just as a reminder, it is a violation of copyright to share the LUT files with other BibleWorks users.
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

What's wrong with those Germans?!

Glenn,
    That's a lot easier than I thought it would be! Sorry if my posts scared anyone.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    ... if my posts scared anyone.
    Like the cucuy that lives behind the double-locked door at the end of the dank dark hall at grandma's house.

Anyone know the Hebrew for "Heebie Jeebies"? (PS - consult "Reason for Editing" below)
    Last edited by SCSaunders; 12-12-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: I'm kidding Mark! Seriously. (Just wanna make that clear)

The modern "Luther" translation (LUT) has not much to do anymore with the original powerful Luther version.
    Those who are interested in the true Luther should use the LUO version which is the version from 1912, where basically only spelling and grammar had been addapted to modern standards.
    The 1545 version is almost the same, only representing a more archaic spelling.
    I recommend to use LUO.
    Best wishes
    Wieland
    <><
    ------------------------------------------------
    Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
    http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
    Textcritical commentary:
    http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by wie View Post
    The modern "Luther" translation (LUT) has not much to do anymore with the original powerful Luther version. Those who are interested in the true Luther should use the LUO version which is the version from 1912, where basically only spelling and grammar had been addapted to modern standards.
    Actually, the textual base is slightly different between the two. See 1 John 5:7, Revelation 22:19, and perhaps others.