Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Reader's Hebrew Bible and BibleWorks

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Thanks SC. I've heard of Lon Solomon (He's one of our boys too! ) I know people in his church.
    Very cool!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    209

    Default

    The Hebrew-Greek Combo will be a great resource; I just hope they fix the Greek font by making it more readable.

    Ingo

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack View Post
    The combined version of the NT and OT is to be released some April 2010:
    Does anybody know if this resource comes with or will come with the critical apparati for both the Old and New Testaments?

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Does anybody know if this resource comes with or will come with the critical apparati for both the Old and New Testaments?
    The prior versions did not.

    My guess, the math goes something like: combine the two existing versions = sans critical apparati

    Edit~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    After thought/guess (take this with a quarry of salt) - the purpose of this resource, per the title, is to read. The bottom of each page in this reader's bible is filled with lexical aids for reading. From a layout perspective, I don't think (JMHO, quarry of salt), there's enough room to accomplish two goals - reading and textual criticism. Personally, I favor the former goal. The way I see it is that I will now have both language texts in one volume, with lexical helps at the bottom of each page to assist my reading of the text. I will no longer need a reader's lexicon. I won't have to fire up a computer to access BW8 each and every time. Personally, I see this as a major benefit.
    Last edited by SCSaunders; 09-12-2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: After Thought

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCSaunders View Post
    The prior versions did not.

    My guess, the math goes something like: combine the two existing versions = sans critical apparati

    Edit~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    After thought/guess (take this with a quarry of salt) - the purpose of this resource, per the title, is to read. The bottom of each page in this reader's bible is filled with lexical aids for reading. From a layout perspective, I don't think (JMHO, quarry of salt), there's enough room to accomplish two goals - reading and textual criticism. Personally, I favor the former goal. The way I see it is that I will now have both language texts in one volume, with lexical helps at the bottom of each page to assist my reading of the text. I will no longer need a reader's lexicon. I won't have to fire up a computer to access BW8 each and every time. Personally, I see this as a major benefit.
    I understand. It's hard to get everything one would want into one volume. Thanks SC.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    You might be interested to know, though the article doesn't say it, Yaakov ben Chayim became a believer in the Messiah later in his life.
    Yes, Elijah Levita in 1538 in his, Massoreth Ha-massoreth (link) noted with a very disrespectful remark(curse) that Yaakov Ben Hayyim had converted to Christianity and thus become a meshumad(apostate).


    אכן המסורת המארבע ועשרים הנדפסות הנה לא ראיתי כהנה בכל ספרי הקדמונים מסודרים ומתוקנים ביופי ובה ובהדור ובטוב הדור סדרם אחד מהנבונים היה שמו לפנים בישראל נקרא יעקב תהי נשמתו צרורה בצרור נקוב
    "as to the Massorah, in the twenty-four sacred books printed here, I have not seen anything like it, among all the ancient books, for arrangement and correctness, for beauty and excellence, and for good order. They were by one of the learned, whose name was formerly Jacob (let his soul be bound up in a bag with holes)."pg 94 of Ginsburg's translation.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    Yes, Elijah Levita in 1538 in his, Massoreth Ha-massoreth (link) noted with a very disrespectful remark(curse) that Yaakov Ben Hayyim had converted to Christianity and thus become a meshumad(apostate).


    אכן המסורת המארבע ועשרים הנדפסות הנה לא ראיתי כהנה בכל ספרי הקדמונים מסודרים ומתוקנים ביופי ובה ובהדור ובטוב הדור סדרם אחד מהנבונים היה שמו לפנים בישראל נקרא יעקב תהי נשמתו צרורה בצרור נקוב
    "as to the Massorah, in the twenty-four sacred books printed here, I have not seen anything like it, among all the ancient books, for arrangement and correctness, for beauty and excellence, and for good order. They were by one of the learned, whose name was formerly Jacob (let his soul be bound up in a bag with holes)."pg 94 of Ginsburg's translation.
    Wow, thanks for the interesting quote. The beauty of it all was that here was a man - Yaakov ben Chayim - who handled the text of the Hebrew Scriptures and had a proficiency with them almost unrivaled by most of his peers who could not escape the Messianic claims of Jesus and eventually submitted to them. Ben Chayim's text served as the basis of the rabbinic bible into the 20th century. Amazing, huh?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    472

    Default

    On, Philip Brown's blog; Exegetical thoughts and Biblical theology
    on Wednesday January 23, 2008 he post (link)
    in some detail about typesetting the 1st edition of the Readers Hebrew Bible.
    (post includes a few good pictures of it too).

    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/


  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    On, Philip Brown's blog; Exegetical thoughts and Biblical theology
    on Wednesday January 23, 2008 he post (link)
    in some detail about typesetting the 1st edition of the Readers Hebrew Bible.
    (post includes a few good pictures of it too).

    Thanks for this post. I had never seen it before, but it is very interesting. It's amazing what people will do for a labor of love. I certainly know Philip isn't going to be compensated anywhere close to what is reasonable based on the amount of hours of work this must have taken. (kind of reminds me how many hours Glenn (and others?) must have spent looking at the Church Fathers module which didn't necessarily amount to any more money from paying customers, but still added value and function to what we already had)
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Thanks for this post. I had never seen it before, but it is very interesting. It's amazing what people will do for a labor of love. I certainly know Philip isn't going to be compensated anywhere close to what is reasonable based on the amount of hours of work this must have taken. (kind of reminds me how many hours Glenn (and others?) must have spent looking at the Church Fathers module which didn't necessarily amount to any more money from paying customers, but still added value and function to what we already had)
    In my mind, Glenn's work was nothing short of heroic. They couldn't have paid me enough to do it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •