Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting Search Limits - "Q" texts

Mark,
    I haven't seen this synopsis file. Is it still available somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    I used the list of Q texts that is available in the q-miller.sdf file (a file available as a Synopsis Tool collection) which uses Robert Miller's list of Q texts. I was able to pull out all the Matthew and Luke texts.
    Thanks,
    Jim

I had assumed that q-miller.sdf was part of BW. You don't see it when you open the synopsis window > File > open... ?
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

I had assumed that q-miller.sdf was part of BW. You don't see it when you open the synopsis window > File > open... ?
    No, unfortunately not! I would also be interested, BTW...

Regards,

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

I looked at the sdf files shipped with BW7, BW8, and BW9. There was no Q synopsis in any of them.
    I also checked the Unofficial Blog repository, and couldn't find it there.

I would very much appreciate if you would share it.

--Jim

Default BW staff confirmation?

If someone on the BW staff sees this, can they confirm if the sdf files have been removed?
    If they are no longer included w/ BW, may I share those sdf files here that I have in my collection?
    Mark
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Make your own Q synopsis file

This should perhaps go in the User-created databases forum, but the discussion is happening here, so ...

There may well be copyright issues around distributing synopsis (.sdf) files that are based on copyrighted material.

It is simple to create your own when the information is available online. (BW help provides information on how to do it, and the synopsis files in you init BW directory give a bunch of examples.)

Robert J. Miller's synopsis is available at http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/q-contents.html .
    It is the second table on that page.
    You can simply copy it into a .txt file, and edit it into BW synopsis format, using the editor of your choice (I would use LibreOffice Writer).
    Then rename it to .sdf and copy it into your BW init directory.

Default qmiller.sdf

If someone on the BW staff sees this, can they confirm if the sdf files have been removed?
    If they are no longer included w/ BW, may I share those sdf files here that I have in my collection?
    Mark
    I don't have the qmiller.sdf file anywhere on my system so I don't think it was ever distributed by us. I could be wrong about that. It happens often enough! But I don't think so. We try to be careful to obey copyright laws. For us to distribute it I think we would need to find out if the material is copyrighted. However, I think it is within the fair use provisions of copyright law for people to share the data for private use.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    This should perhaps go in the User-created databases forum, but the discussion is happening here, so ...

There may well be copyright issues around distributing synopsis (.sdf) files that are based on copyrighted material.

It is simple to create your own when the information is available online. (BW help provides information on how to do it, and the synopsis files in you init BW directory give a bunch of examples.)

Robert J. Miller's synopsis is available at http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/q-contents.html .
    It is the second table on that page.
    You can simply copy it into a .txt file, and edit it into BW synopsis format, using the editor of your choice (I would use LibreOffice Writer).
    Then rename it to .sdf and copy it into your BW init directory.
    A hearty thanks to Jim for pointing out the link.

Ok, I tried following the instructions in the Help file. With some fiddling around I got a Miller list to work--it's actually quite nice! But... there's one reference that just doesn't come up. I'm assuming there are too many verses for the synopsis window to handle (?). Might that be the problem? It's this:

Coming of son of Adam|Lk 17:22-24;17:26-30;17:34-35;17:37|Mt 24:26-28;24:37;24:39-41

Any ideas? Is there something that I've done wrong?

Thanks!

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    Ok, I tried following the instructions in the Help file. With some fiddling around I got a Miller list to work--it's actually quite nice! But... there's one reference that just doesn't come up. I'm assuming there are too many verses for the synopsis window to handle (?). Might that be the problem? It's this:

Coming of son of Adam|Lk 17:22-24;17:26-30;17:34-35;17:37|Mt 24:26-28;24:37;24:39-41

Any ideas? Is there something that I've done wrong?

Thanks!

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France
    Try changing Lk to Luk, and Mt to Mat
    When I did that It displayed for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    Try changing Lk to Luk, and Mt to Mat
    When I did that It displayed for me.
    Thanks Jim. Yes, it was that, exactly.

Looking at the early christian writings list, I see the problem. All the entries in that list have "Luke" and "Matt"--with one exception, that being the entry I had problems with. For that one, the entries are with "Lk" and "Mt". I did an automatic search and replace in Word, with "Luk" and "Mat," which converted all the entries but that one. Obviously.

I was so hung up on the rest of elements in that entry that I didn't even think to look at the abbreviations.

However, I now notice another problem: when I use the shortcut "e" to highlight textual differences, this function doesn't seem to work in the synopsis tool. typing in the shortcut actually truncates the text. Not very helpful for comparison purposes! Does anyone else have this problem?

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France