Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting Search Limits - "Q" texts

Default Setting Search Limits - "Q" texts

Goal: Create a search limit that is composed of the presumed texts defined as the "Q" text (ie, material that is common to Matthew and Luke that does not appear in Mark)

Partial Solution: I used the list of Q texts that is available in the q-miller.sdf file (a file available as a Synopsis Tool collection) which uses Robert Miller's list of Q texts. I was able to pull out all the Matthew and Luke texts.
    In your BW7 init directory, open the limlist.udb file using Notepad.
    Download/open the attached TXT file.
    Copy the text in this file and Paste it to the end of the limlist.udb file. Save/close.
    Now when you select search limits (eg, "l qluke" or "l qmatthew" or choose from dialog box), you will be able to search on those texts.

Problems:
    1) When conducting searches, you will note that this lengthy list of verses will take a bit longer than one is used to in BW7.
    2) I tried to combine the Matthew and Luke texts into a single QTexts limit, but it caused BW7 to crash every time.

>> Are there restrictions on the extent of search limit definitions?
    >> Is there a better way to search such a long list? I was thinking of creating a Verse list file (VLS), but that's more work than I want to do right now without knowing that it will work. (The VLS file requires an entry for every single verse. Verse ranges cannot be used.)
    Last edited by MGVH; 10-30-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: removed file > cf. update
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Can you pull out the text of those verses, and compile them into a new version? when you run it through the VDC, it'll create blank verses/chapters to fill in the gap, but if you're running searches, it'll be as if it ignores those verses anyway.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Q Texts update1

Shortly after the first post, I thought of a better way...
    It took a few minutes (which seems like forever in BW7), but using my lists, I did a wildcard search so that the search results returned every verse in the search limit. I then used these to create Verse Lists for Matthew, for Luke, and for a combined one which is the verse list for Q. They are attached. Copy them to your BW7 "ase" directory.

You can use these Verse Lists in your Graphical Search Engine. The searches run fairly quickly.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MGVH; 12-02-2009 at 09:14 AM.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Default Q Texts Update 2

I then cleaned up the verse ranges for use in the Search Limits, and it runs much more quickly. As noted in the initial post:
    Copy the text in this file and Paste it to the end of the limlist.udb file. Save/close.
    Now when you select search limits (eg, "l qluke" or "l qmatthew" or choose from dialog box), you will be able to search on those texts. Searches run much more quickly.

Still a problem: I tried combining these two groups into an addition Qtexts one, and it still crashes BW every time.

Michael: I tried compiling a version with blank references. It seems to work compiling (and I tried both w/ and w/out the "Print Blank references"), but I can't seem to be able to use it...
    Last edited by MGVH; 12-02-2009 at 08:59 AM.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Michael: I tried compiling a version with blank references. It seems to work compiling (and I tried both w/ and w/out the "Print Blank references"), but I can't seem to be able to use it...
    Well I probably should have been more clear. I haven't the time yet to play around w what you're talking about but I envisioned copying the verses you have in question with their text (not just the verse references), and then put those in the VDC. Wouldn't you then have a version consisting of all your Q texts? Or maybe I'm not fully grasping your quest.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Re: Q Texts Update 2

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    I then cleaned up the verse ranges for use in the Search Limits, and it runs much more quickly. As noted in the initial post:
    Now when you select search limits (eg, "l qluke" or "l qmatthew" or choose from dialog box), you will be able to search on those texts. Searches run much more quickly.

Still a problem: I tried combining these two groups into an addition Qtexts one, and it still crashes BW every time.

Mark,

I looked at your txt file today and I spotted two errors:
    Luk 17:33-35 should be Luk 14:33-35 (wrong chapter number)
    Mat 11:16-19 Mat 11:21-27 should be Mat 11:16-19; Mat 11:21-27 (missing semicolon)

I don't know if that is what caused the problem, but I thought I would mention it anyway, just in case.

Best,

Hi, Rubén,
    Thanks for noticing the problems. The lack of the semicolon does have the potential of messing things up... but fixing it still doesn't keep BW8 from crashing if the Matthew and Luke Q texts are added as a search range.
    Couple work arounds:
    I can search QMatthew and QLuke and then merge results.
    OR
    I can use Verse List Manager to import all the Q Matthew & Luke texts, then export that list to the Search Window, then limit my search to verses in search window.
    Thanks again!
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Default Custom search range limitation fixed

The custom search range was limited to 1024 characters. The combined Q search exceeded that limit, causing the program to crash. The latest exe update has a limit of 4096 characters in a custom search limit, so now the Q search range can be set.
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Default Re: Custom search range limitation fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    The custom search range was limited to 1024 characters. The combined Q search exceeded that limit, causing the program to crash. The latest exe update has a limit of 4096 characters in a custom search limit, so now the Q search range can be set.
    Thank you for being so sensitive to the needs of your users.

God bless.

Excellent! Thank you, Glenn. I checked and the Q text list was 1152 characters, so it was just going over the limit and causing the crash.
    I updated, and now it works great.

If anyone else would like to search on the Q texts (noting its speculative nature and questions about exact limits...):

I used the list of Q texts that is available in the q-miller.sdf file (a file available as a Synopsis Tool collection) which uses Robert Miller's list of Q texts. I was able to pull out all the Matthew and Luke texts.

Here is the easy way if you just want a QText limit. (Thank Ruben for reminding me that this is faster.)

• Open the BW Options Window > Searching > Search Limits (the fastest way to do this is to double-click on Limits at the bottom of the main BW window)
    • Type in QText under "Add new Predefined Range" > Description
    • Choose one of your Greek versions (eg, BGT)
    • Copy and paste the following text into the Range box:
      Mat 3:7-12; Mat 4:1-7; Mat 4:9-13; Mat 5:1-4; Mat 5:6; Mat 5:11-13; Mat 5:15; Mat 5:18; Mat 5:25-26; Mat 5:32; Mat 5:39-42; Mat 5:44-48; Mat 6:9-13; Mat 6:19-33; Mat 7:1-5; Mat 7:7-14; Mat 7:16-28; Mat 8:5-13; Mat 8:19-22; Mat 9:37-38; Mat 10:7-16; Mat 10:19; Mat 10:24-40; Mat 11:2-13; Mat 11:16-19; Mat 11:21-27; Mat 12:22-30; Mat 12:32-35; Mat 12:38-45; Mat 13:16-17; Mat 13:31-33; Mat 15:14; Mat 16:2-3; Mat 17:20; Mat 18:6-7; Mat 18:12-13; Mat 18:15; Mat 18:21-22; Mat 19:28; Mat 20:16; Mat 22:1-10; Mat 23:12-13; Mat 23:29-32; Mat 23:34-39; Mat 24:26-28; Mat 24:37; Mat 24:39-41; Mat 24:43-51; Mat 25:14-30; Luk 3:7-9; Luk 3:16-17; Luk 4:1-13; Luk 6:12; Luk 6:17; Luk 6:20-49; Luk 7:1-10; Luk 7:18-20; Luk 7:22-28; Luk 7:31-35; Luk 9:57-62; Luk 10:2-16; Luk 10:21-24; Luk 11:2-4; Luk 11:9-36; Luk 11:47-52; Luk 12:2-14; Luk 12:16-31; Luk 12:33-34; Luk 12:39-40; Luk 12:42-46; Luk 12:49; Luk 12:51-59; Luk 13:18-21; Luk 13:24-30; Luk 13:34-35; Luk 14:11; Luk 14:16-24; Luk 14:26-27; Luk 14:33-35; Luk 15:4-10; Luk 16:13; Luk 16:16-18; Luk 17:1-4; Luk 17:6; Luk 17:22-24; Luk 17:26-30; Luk 17:34-35; Luk 17:37; Luk 18:14; Luk 19:12-26; Luk 22:28-30

If you want QMatthew, QLuke, and a QText limits, do this:

• In your BW init directory, open the limlist.udb file using Notepad.
    • Download/open the attached TXT file.
    • Copy the text in this file and Paste it to the end of the limlist.udb file. Save/close.

Now when you select search limits (eg, "l qluke" or "l qmatthew" or "l qtext" or choose from dialog box), you will be able to search on those texts.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MGVH; 12-03-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Added faster way to create limit
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman