Thread: Liddell Middle or Great Scott?

Question Liddell Middle or Great Scott?

The Liddell and Scott Greek--English lexicon contained in BibleWorks could be any of three Liddle and Scott lexicons. Does anyone know which one it is?

These lexicons are usually referred to by their nick-names:

Little Liddle
    or
    Liddell Middle (Intermediate)
    or the
    Great Scott (Full sized)

According to the copyright info in BW regarding Liddell-Scott:

10. LSDICT (main) - The Abridged Liddell-Scott Greek-English Lexicon. From the public domain. Via BibleWorks programming, tied directly to and accessible from the LXX and Greek NT Texts and Morphologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Brumwell
    The Liddell and Scott Greek--English lexicon contained in BibleWorks could be any of three Liddle and Scott lexicons. Does anyone know which one it is?

These lexicons are usually referred to by their nick-names:

Little Liddle
    or
    Liddell Middle (Intermediate)
    or the
    Great Scott (Full sized)
    Mark Langley
    Sovereign Grace Baptist Church of Topeka, KS

But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

to. de. r`h/ma Kuri,ou me,nei eivj to.n aivw/na tou/to de, evsti to. r`h/ma to. euvaggelisqe.n eivj u`ma/j

It's middle liddell with some bonuses as they're adding words to fit Josephus I believe. If you want access to Great Scott, you can go through Perseus. Once you see the difference between the two, you'll realize how intermediate the Middle really is

Mike Hanel
    MDiv student Concordia Seminary
    MA student Washington University -- Classics

Default translation?

you'll realize how intermediate the Middle really is "

please define the word 'intermediate'

Intermediate meaning it's not as small as the Little Liddell nor as big as the Great Scott, it lies between. To my knowledge the Middle contains every word that's in the Great Scott edition (minor exceptions probably occur), however, the Middle Liddell does not contain the entire citation as listed in the Great Scott

If you're confused compare the first and the second link.

1. anthropos in Great Scott: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin...ntry%3D%238910

2. anthropos in Middle Liddell: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin...ntry%3D%232895

The Little Liddell not only has shortened citations in definitions, but it also has a shorter word list.

Michael Hanel

Default little middle big

thank you, Michael, for that clarification. And for those links. They gave precision and understanding, at least for me.

Default Thanks

I thank everyone for the time they took to respond to this thread.

I was wondering if it wasn't the liddell midddle because the definition entry seemed a bit small for the Great Scott.

I have a copy of the Great Scott but I was hoping I wouldn't have to lug it out now that I have BibleWorks 6.

Perhaps that would be a nice additional plug-in. I'd pay a few $$ for it.

As for the Perseus web site....I've tried to use it on several occasions. The only time it didn't laag like crazy was around 2am CST. Lots of goodies there. Too bad it takes an hour to read a chapter of the Persian Expedition.

TS Brumwell
    Last edited by Tyrone Brumwell; 06-23-2004 at 01:47 PM. Reason: addition

Agreed on Perseus' website. Go to their main menu and use one of the mirrors. In general I've had better luck w the uchicago website than perseus.tufts. Or else I think you can get their stuff on CD? I'm not sure on that one tho, I know they used to have a CD they sold, but I'm not sure if that was just the databases, excluding lexica and others or not. Maybe someone else has played around with it.

Actually more than the Great Scott would be a lexicon of the Patristics.

Michael Hanel

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Brumwell
    I have a copy of the Great Scott but I was hoping I wouldn't have to lug it out now that I have BibleWorks 6.
    We are looking into licensing the Great Scott. It looks promising but you can imagine that it will take a while to scan. So we have it in our sights but it won't be available next week - maybe in a few months is we can get past the licensing hurdles.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell
    We are looking into licensing the Great Scott. It looks promising but you can imagine that it will take a while to scan. So we have it in our sights but it won't be available next week - maybe in a few months is we can get past the licensing hurdles.
    Mike
    wow, thanks for the update.