Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jehovah And The Tetragrammaton

Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    The original thread is five years old. Why are you beating a dead horse?
    I guess time does do away with all exegesis if you set a limit?
    This pronunciation is grammatically impossible; it arose through pronouncing the vowels of the "Qere" ( marginal reading of the Masorites) Of the names of God in the Old Testament, that which occurs most frequently ( 6,823 times ) is the so-called Tetragrammaton, Yhwh ( יהוה), the distinctive personal name of the God of Israel. This name is commonly represented in modern translations by the form "Jehovah," which, however, is a philological impossibility.היה The correct name is I EXIST

Quote Originally Posted by Heman View Post
    This pronunciation is grammatically impossible; it arose through pronouncing the vowels of the "Qere" ( marginal reading of the Masorites) Of the names of God in the Old Testament, that which occurs most frequently ( 6,823 times ) is the so-called Tetragrammaton, Yhwh ( יהוה), the distinctive personal name of the God of Israel. This name is commonly represented in modern translations by the form "Jehovah," which, however, is a philological impossibility.היה The correct name is I EXIST
    Well, actually, Ehyeh asher Ehyeh, 'I will and did always exist', or better: 'I always was and will be Who (asher) I always was and will be'. That's profound, when you think about it. Statement that GOD WILLS His Own Existence in every aspect. Don't know if you realize this, but that statement from the literal Hebrew shoots down all REFORMED and CATHOLIC depictions of God; especially the Calvinist-Reformed, who are constantly shackling God's Sovereignty by calling Him 'constrained' by His Attributes. Ooops.

As for the vowel pointing, YehWah is the most common, over 5000 times, per my BibleWorks 5 search (I didn't check it yet in my BW8 or BW9 to see if the hits changed). This matters a bunch, for in Hebrew meter you count syllables. Isaiah 53, for example, uses YehWah, and that's how I learned its perfect meter, playing on the meter of Psalm 90 (see my http://www.vimeo.com/channels/psalm90 for proof in Bible, using UNALTERED BW5 Hebrew text).
    Last edited by brainout; 12-20-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: clarification
    'brainouty' on Youtube and , http://www.vimeo.com/brainout

Quote Originally Posted by Heman View Post
    Your demand for a response seemed outdated, since the person you are arguing with (Adelphos) hasn't to this thread in over five years. It's like you're fighting a straw man. (Interesting take, though).