Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jehovah And The Tetragrammaton

But again you've produced no evidence as to the originality of the pronunciation: just rhetoric concerning the Received Text.

Now, sure, in the Received Text manuscripts we have the name written as you assert. But this is not evidence concerning the originality, only evidence for that sequence of consonants and vowels at the time the manuscript was written. You have not presented evidence that overturns taking the consonants as original and vowels as aids to reading adonai. Further, you still persist in speculating concerning the Received Text rather than treating the actual Hebrew language evidence I've continued to point you to.

Regards,
    David.
    Last edited by David Kummerow; 09-16-2008 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kummerow View Post
    Further, you still persist in speculating concerning the Received Text rather than treating the actual Hebrew language evidence I've continued to point you to.
    Do you know what AS IT IS WRITEN means???

"In the TEMPLE they pronounced the Divine Name AS IT IS WRITTEN, but in the country by its substitute." Mishna - Tamid 7:2, Talmud - Tamid 33b

Grammar has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the Tetragrammaton in the Received Text AS IT IS WRITTEN.

I am well aware of your obsession with debating Hebrew grammar. You've had your head handed to you numerous times on b-hebrew over the past year or so in your obsession with grammar.

But unfortunately for you, AS IT IS WRITTEN utterly obliterates ANY discussion of grammar.

In case you're still not able to comprehend this -- IT IS THERE IN BLACK AND WHITE -- AS IT IS WRITTEN -- YEHOVAH in the Received Text is AS IT IS WRITTEN.

Surely you're not going to deny that YEHOVAH is EXACTLY how IT IS WRITTEN in the Received Text???

Just go to Genesis 2:4 -- IT IS WRITTEN -- YEHOVAH. Any beginning Hebrew student can see it in black and white that that is EXACTLY how IT IS WRITTEN in the Received Text.

Now, as to the Received Text, as I have stated before, if you don't want to believe that the Received Text goes back to the Second Temple period, then don't believe it.

I do. And so does the Holy Spirit so testify.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    I am well aware of your obsession with debating Hebrew grammar. You've had your head handed to you numerous times on b-hebrew over the past year or so in your obsession with grammar.
    So it seems you'd rather defame rather than present and argue actual evidence. Snide comments like these do you no good and they're quite offensive. Last time I checked, my head was quite intact. In any case, I am at a loss to even discern what you're trying to allude to and I contend that they are without basis.

And so does the Holy Spirit so testify.
    I do find such comments to be truely sad. For one who goes on about being born again, regenerate, etc etc, I just wish there was more actual evidence of that which the Bible actually points to: not some position the Received Text, but things like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Regards,
    David.
    Last edited by David Kummerow; 09-16-2008 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kummerow View Post
    I do find such comments to be truely sad. For one who goes on about being born again, regenerate, etc etc, I just wish there was more actual evidence of that which the Bible actually points to: not some position the Received Text, but things like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
    Right. Chuckle.

One thing is for certain... ONE of us is FATALLY -- and I mean FATALLY -- deceived. And I am content to leave it there.

Grammar has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the Tetragrammaton in the Received Text AS IT IS WRITTEN.
    Received Text? You mean the one with the Johanne Comma? Hardly trustworthy as a legimate source.

Isa 26:4 Trust ye in the ha-yah [I EXIST] for ever: for in the ad-on-ai ha-yah [I EXIST] is the everlasting side:

אֲדוֹנָי a-do-nai Lord 1083-C (N) 136

היה ha-yah Exist (V) 1097-M (V) 1961
    http://ancient-hebrew.org/35_dictionary_01.html

Received Text? You mean the one with the Johanne Comma? Hardly trustworthy as a legimate source.

Isa 26:4 Trust ye in the ha-yah [I EXIST] for ever: for in the ad-on-ai ha-yah [I EXIST] is the everlasting side:

אֲדוֹנָי a-do-nai Lord 1083-C (N) 136

היה ha-yah Exist (V) 1097-M (V) 1961

Just because הָיָה is pronounced "ha-yah" does not mean that יְהוָה should be pronounced "ha-yah."
    Last edited by Lee; 12-09-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Just because הָיָה is pronounced "ha-yah" does not mean that יְהוָה should be pronounced "ha-yah."
    This pronunciation is grammatically impossible; it arose through pronouncing the vowels of the "Qere" ( marginal reading of the Masorites) Of the names of God in the Old Testament, that which occurs most frequently ( 6,823 times ) is the so-called Tetragrammaton, Yhwh ( יהוה), the distinctive personal name of the God of Israel. This name is commonly represented in modern translations by the form "Jehovah," which, however, is a philological impossibility.היה The correct name is I EXIST
    ha-yah Exist (V) 1097-M (V) 1961
    1. Explanation of the reprint of the 1866 Letteris Edition of the Hebrew Bible. (http://www.rakkav.com/kdhinc/pages/books.htm)
    2. The Online Jewish Encyclopedia of 1901-1906: Name of God / YHWH. (http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/vi...id=52&letter=N)
    3. Transcription Guidelines for the B-Hebrew forum. (http://www.ibiblio.org/bhebrew/)

Default 12/10/2013 Post

Where is my post from 12/10/2013??? Why are you slow in responding?

Quote Originally Posted by Heman View Post
    Where is my post from 12/10/2013??? Why are you slow in responding?
    The original thread is five years old. Why are you beating a dead horse?