Thread: Greek text coming out wrong

Default Greek text coming out wrong

Hi. I'm trying to compile a morph'd version of the Book of the Watchers that I am making... after much struggle I have learnt how to do it, but once I have compiled the database, the Greek font comes out wrong; the final 's' comes out as a ', chi comes out as zeta and the accents and breathings stay Latin and not Greek... I have Bibleworks 6 and have been using bwgrkl font.

Incidentally, I would like to say that I am totally useless at reading instructions, but it appears to me that the help section on compiling morphological texts in Bibleworks 6 is not very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwan View Post
    Hi. I'm trying to compile a morph'd version of the Book of the Watchers that I am making... after much struggle I have learnt how to do it, but once I have compiled the database, the Greek font comes out wrong; the final 's' comes out as a ', chi comes out as zeta and the accents and breathings stay Latin and not Greek... I have Bibleworks 6 and have been using bwgrkl font.

Incidentally, I would like to say that I am totally useless at reading instructions, but it appears to me that the help section on compiling morphological texts in Bibleworks 6 is not very clear.
    Copy a line or two of the problematic portions of the text here and also the text of your .ddf. I rarely ever compile with the bwgrkl font, but usually do so from CCAT, so I don't have much experience this route, but I can see what it looks like anyway.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Apologies, I was a bit unclear and, indeed, misleading ... Enclosed are the details of the files...

1Em.cat - Mat 1:1 lo,goj@nnmsc euvlogi,a@ngfsc Enwc@ngmsp kaqw,j@cs euvloge,w@viaa3s evklekto,j@anampn

1En.cat - Mat 1:1 logoj eulogiaj Enwc kaqwj euloghsen eklektouj

1Em.ddf -
    bwversion 6.0.005y
    compilerversion 1
    rawdatafile d:\my desktop\1em.txt
    name 1 Enoch
    font Bwgrkl
    fontsize 12
    language Greek
    languagegroup Greek
    hasstrongs no
    hassuperscripts no
    hasitalics no
    readonly no
    transliterated no
    hasxrefs no
    hassmallcaps no
    usenaslexicon no
    sourceformat ccat
    keyboard Greek
    fonttype Greek
    dashoption 1
    apostropheoption 0
    codingscheme BNM
    wraptype GreekMorphology
    content NTOnly
    hasnotes no
    hasendnotes no
    versionid 1EM
    companion 1EN
    locale
    version 5000
    BeginGlobals
    EndGlobals

It comes out like this:
    logov eulogiav Enwx kaqwv euloghsen eklektouv
    lo(gov eu,logi(aEnwx kaqw(v eu,loge(w e,klekto(v
    nnmsc ngfsc ngmsp cs viaa3s anampn

Incidentally, I just noticed that jdarlack said that he had written out Codex Panopolitanus (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sho...litanus&page=4) but I can't seem to get the file... is it still available?

Also, I wrote out the text in the name of Matthew because I did not know how to get it into the database under 1 Enoch... is that possible?

Cheers

I also notice that you, Mr/Dr Hanel started a discussion about writing out the Church Fathers... did anything come of that? I would possibly kill for the 2nd C Church Fathers with Morphology (they would die for a good cause).
    Last edited by Iwan; 08-02-2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Ok first things first. Instead of your Mat 1:1, etc. replace it with 1En 1:1. Then (if this isn't already the default), open your books.bna file (found in the BibleWorks subfolder called "init" and see if it contains this line, otherwise add it:
    1En,1 Enoch,1 En.,1En
    that will allow BW to recognize 1En as 1 Enoch in the Browse Window.

Second, when you recompile your Enoch texts again you will want to change the option on the bottom left side from CCAT to native ("Input in BW Native Format") --- that will solve your font issues. You will also want to change the Content from "NT Only" to "Custom"

Third, on the text mentioned in that link by Jim. Contact him via email and ask him about it. I don't readily see it available, but he still might have it.

Fourth, on Church Father texts. Some of them are available in English as a BW database version (here), but as far as Greek texts, the problem would be having access to Greek texts. They are readily available on TLG, but those texts are not in the public domain unless you want to re-type them by hand. BW7 has morph versions of Josephus, Philo and the Apostolic Fathers in addition to all the standard stuff and they've promised to get the Pseudepigrapha in the future sometime, so there is a lot of good stuff available out there, just maybe not all one would desire.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Default Panopolitanus

I've attached the Greek text of 1 Enoch according to Codex Panopolitanus to this post. The source text was from www.dabar.org. They keyed in the text from Charles' 1912 edition. I'll post this file to the BWBlog as soon as I can log back into Yahoo.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack View Post
    I've attached the Greek text of 1 Enoch according to Codex Panopolitanus to this post. The source text was from www.dabar.org. They keyed in the text from Charles' 1912 edition. I'll post this file to the BWBlog as soon as I can log back into Yahoo.
    Ok I've uploaded the file here. In case you haven't been able to tell, Jim is thrilled with Yahoo's file-hosting service. (NOT! )
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!