Thread: Dates: of PGM

Default Dates: of PGM

Can anybody give me the dates of PGM?

This is all I could find in BDAG: PGM = Papyri Graecae Magicae: Die griechischen Zauberpapyri, I 1928, II 1931, ed. KPreisendanz; 2d ed. AHenrichs 1973-74; III, with index, ed. KP. with EDiehl/SEitrem 1941; esp. significant are nos. 1 and 2 (=PBerlin 5025; 5026), 3 (PMimaut), 4 (Paris Magic Pap.), 5 (PLond 46), 7 (PLond 121), 12 (PLeid V), 13 (PLeid. W), 36 (POslo 1). For details s. HBetz, ed., The Greek Magical Papyri in Translation Including the Demotic Spells 1986, p. xliv.

I don't think there is a date in there.

Include a reference and/or link if possible.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by arggem View Post
    Can anybody give me the dates of PGM?

This is all I could find in BDAG: PGM = Papyri Graecae Magicae: Die griechischen Zauberpapyri, I 1928, II 1931, ed. KPreisendanz; 2d ed. AHenrichs 1973-74; III, with index, ed. KP. with EDiehl/SEitrem 1941; esp. significant are nos. 1 and 2 (=PBerlin 5025; 5026), 3 (PMimaut), 4 (Paris Magic Pap.), 5 (PLond 46), 7 (PLond 121), 12 (PLeid V), 13 (PLeid. W), 36 (POslo 1). For details s. HBetz, ed., The Greek Magical Papyri in Translation Including the Demotic Spells 1986, p. xliv.

I don't think there is a date in there.

Include a reference and/or link if possible.

Thanks!
    Do you mean the date of the original texts themselves? I imagine it will differ quite a bit depending on what the specific papyrus is... See for instance the Wikipedia entry.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Do you mean the date of the original texts themselves? I imagine it will differ quite a bit depending on what the specific papyrus is... See for instance the Wikipedia entry.
    Yes, I meant for the original texts themselves. I'm looking for the range of the dates. I found the wikipedia entry, but wasn't sure how reliable it was. I wanted to check with my scholarly cyber-buddies!

Quote Originally Posted by arggem View Post
    Yes, I meant for the original texts themselves. I'm looking for the range of the dates. I found the wikipedia entry, but wasn't sure how reliable it was. I wanted to check with my scholarly cyber-buddies!
    Well as far as I know the range on Wikipedia would be as standard an answer as any. See for instance also here.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Thanks Michael!

Not that I don't trust wikipedia, but it's nice to get confirmation.

Thanks for your help!