Thread: Coordination of Bible Works with Nota Bene and Libronix

Default Coordination of Bible Works with Nota Bene and Libronix

Heretofore I have been a long time user of both "Logos/Libronix" and "Nota Bene" and have come to terms with the necessary adjustments to articulate between the two rather disparate programs. I now see particular benefit of perhaps adding "Bible Works" to the mix (not least because of the enhancement of Unicode), because I am excited by its apparent facility regarding in-depth dealing with the Biblical literature and languages.

However, some of what I read gives me pause regarding the outlay of what is, for me, a consideable additional investment. Before taking the plunge I need some additional information and would further entertain some advice from others who may have had the same concerns or perhaps still have similar perspective.

These are my more specific questions and concerns:

How difficult is it to arive at articulation between Bible Works and Libronix? Between Bible Works and Nota Bene?

I have several texts and tools for use within the Libronix and Nota Bene environments (lexicons, commentaries, encyclopediae et al.), materials of some considerable expense; so, in order to make full use of Bible Works, would I need to purchase these same tools all over again to be used within Bible Works? or will they articulate into Bible Works essentially seamlessly? or, at least, with minimal adjustments?

Has anyone previously dealt with such a situation as my own? Is there any material I might share or purchase that would help me with the coordination of these three programs? I would prefer not having to re-invent the wheel!

I hope this posting communicates my situation and I look forward eagerly to all responses -- both in the thread and, if anyone would desire to do so, with response by e-mail.

In Christ
    Harrison

Default This is a job for ..... "MGVH"

My suggestions, PM MGVH. In the mean time, check out his blog - I'm fairly 100% not hesitant to say that he's answered your questions somewheres.

Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Some answers...

Well, now that SCSaunders put me on the spot....

BibleWorks plays well with Logos/Libronix using the external links manager. Check these threads HERE and HERE.
    (The only thing that does not seem to pass through well from BW to Logos is Hebrew words.)
    What this means is that you can use the speed and the text-centric focus of BW7 to do work and then quickly jump over (using a right-click) to the secondary resources in Logos.

It does not work very easily to move from Logos to BW7.

As for coordination with NotaBene, I don't think either BW7 or Logos have built in macros (as they both do for working within MS Word). On the other hand, copy/paste works fine from BW7 to NotaBene. BW7 allows you to export text in Unicode, so it's good to go. You won't get the automatic footnote that Logos generates when you copy/paste text (the default setup), but I usually don't need it for biblical text anyway.

Post here if you have more specific questions, and check my blog, especially THESE POSTS where I often compare/contrast Logos and BW7.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Well, now that SCSaunders put me on the spot...
    "Spot light" bro, "spot light". It finally dawned on me a while back, but I've never seen you and Superman in the same room at the same time. Coincidence? I submit to all, it is not!

Default PureText

The cut/paste sequence did not work from BW to NB in my case until I found this little utility.

http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext

Takes up little memory. Copy as normal and then hit windowkey-v and the text is placed neatly stripped of all its codes. Now I have not tried it with language transfer yet.

Frank Jones, Pastor
    Faith Memorial Baptist Church, Richmond VA

Default BW with NB

I've been using Bible Works with Nota Bene without problem, except I need to have accents turned off for before you can import or paste the Hebrew into NB without getting funny stuff. But then, I seldom use accented Hebrew in anything I write. If you really needed something accented, I think you could get the accented form from the NB texts if you've already purchased them as Orbis databases.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Well, now that SCSaunders put me on the spot....

BibleWorks plays well with Logos/Libronix using the external links manager. Check these threads HERE and HERE.
    (The only thing that does not seem to pass through well from BW to Logos is Hebrew words.)
    What this means is that you can use the speed and the text-centric focus of BW7 to do work and then quickly jump over (using a right-click) to the secondary resources in Logos.

It does not work very easily to move from Logos to BW7.

As for coordination with NotaBene, I don't think either BW7 or Logos have built in macros (as they both do for working within MS Word). On the other hand, copy/paste works fine from BW7 to NotaBene. BW7 allows you to export text in Unicode, so it's good to go. You won't get the automatic footnote that Logos generates when you copy/paste text (the default setup), but I usually don't need it for biblical text anyway.

Post here if you have more specific questions, and check my blog, especially THESE POSTS where I often compare/contrast Logos and BW7.
    This was helpful. Thank you. I bookmarked your very interesting blog. Thank you again!