Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citing BDAG, ect in BibleWorks 7.0 MLA style

Default Citing BDAG, ect in BibleWorks 7.0 MLA style

How do I cite BDAG, grammars, ect. in BibleWorks 7.0 in the MLA format for use in an academic resource? I have a manual for citing sources in academic resources/scholarly journals. It mentions examples of quoting electronic resources, but not an electronic resource from within an electronic resource. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chan Arnett

Hi Chan,

I don't know MLA style (haven't used it for many, many years), so I can't say much about it. However, I think you may be making it harder on yourself than you need to.

Perhaps something as simple as the following is sufficient (MLA format generated from Zotero):

Bauer, Walter. A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Liturature. Ed. Frederick W. Danker. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000. <BibleWorks. v.7.>.
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi Chan,

I don't know MLA style (haven't used it for many, many years), so I can't say much about it. However, I think you may be making it harder on yourself than you need to.

Perhaps something as simple as the following is sufficient (MLA format generated from Zotero):

Bauer, Walter. A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Liturature. Ed. Frederick W. Danker. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000. <BibleWorks. v.7.>.
    If it's for publication just be sure to spell Literature correctly.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the correction. I make the correction in my Zotero file, but that was after I already copied the citation to the clipboard. :-(

Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Default recommendations for style

Danny Zacharias offered some good advice on starndardizing references from digital applications here:
    http://www.deinde.org/2008/06/05/ele...the-sbl-style/
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post

Glenn, where did you enter <BibleWorks. v.7> ? I put it in the URL, but then I have to manually edit out "retrieved ....from".

I'm assuming Item Type = Book.

Default Recommendations For Style

According to: Xia Li and Nancy B. Crane in "Electronic Style A Guide to Citing Electronic Information", Westport, CT: Mecklermedia, 1995. The format for this citation would be:

Bauer, Walter. A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature. Ed. Frederick W. Danker. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000. BibleWorks.( v.7.).[Microsoft Vista Service Pack 1]

The last item in brackets make sense. You need to know what operating system was used to retrieve the information.
    We are in a whole new world of information now.
    I hope this helps.
    Clint Yale
    Bellingham,WA

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Yale View Post
    The last item in brackets make sense. You need to know what operating system was used to retrieve the information.
    We are in a whole new world of information now.
    I hope this helps.
    Clint Yale
    Bellingham,WA
    Wow, I never would have thought of that. That just doubles my question earlier about where to enter that info in Zotero.

I always cite my electronic BDAG as if it was the hard copy. The only problem is that the electronic version doesn't have page numbers so you must look up the page numbers.

Default Playing the game of bibliographic styles

Hi arggem,

I used 'Book' as the Type in Zotero. I entered BibleWorks v.7 in the URL field. I did not include the < and > sybmols, as Zotero will add those when exporting in MLA format. If you are adding the < and > symbols, perhaps that is why you have the extra text.

Bibliographic styles are funny creatures. The overriding factor in deciding what style to use (or even what elements to include within the style) is solely at the whims of the professor grading the paper or the editor proofing the article/book. I have seen professors disagree over how a title should be cited, and both were using the same standard.

I had some frustrating experiences when in a school that used a modified Turabian format. At times Turabian wasn't clear. According to Turabian, the Chicago Manual of Style is the final authority, and the Chicago Manual was clear (and should have been followed, according to Turabian), but the professor didn't know the Chicago standard. So, even though Chicago was clear, we were instructed to follow the professor's preferrance.

The goal is to find out what is acceptable to the professor/editor, and then use that format. You probably won't win an argument with your professor/editor, and it is best that you don't try to do so. Sometimes a professor will allow you to depart from the standard if you are absolutely consistent in your styles.

Hope this helps.
    Glenn Weaver