Thread: Is Bible software making us stupid?

Default Is Bible software making us stupid?

Recently an article was published on theAtlantic.com, titled "Is Google making us stupid?" (by Guy Billout). The article is about the internet and how it is changing the way we think. I think that these observations have direct implications for the use of Bible software.

You all hopefully know by now that I am a BIG fan of Bible software (especially BibleWorks)! So, take my title with a grain of salt. Here's my blog post on it: "Is Bible software making us stupid?"
    Last edited by jdarlack; 06-14-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added link to original article
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default Bible software is NOT making us stupid

My response to Jim's fine post.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack View Post
    You all hopefully know by now that I am a BIG fan of Bible software (especially BibleWorks)! So, take my title with a grain of salt. Here's my blog post on it: "Is Bible software making us stupid?"
    Bible software has done made me smurt. Before I used Bible software, I were dumb, but now, specially since I buyed BibleWorks, I are smurt.

I even learnt how to make pitures with all them funny drawins that are under my regular Bible verses in BibleWorks, such as them pitures that come in the WTT graphics, and LXT graphics. I hope BibleWorks will get them other pitures that people are talkin' 'bout, out of the northwest or somethin'. I spect if they get them pitures from the northwest we can get some really good dino-sare drawins. I can't wait for that. Then I can help make other peoples smurt like I are.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 06-17-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Pasted by Clint Yale from Adelphos today.
    "I hope BibleWorks will get them other pitures that people are talkin' 'bout, out of the northwest or somethin'. I spect if they get them pitures from the northwest we can get some really good dino-sare drawins. I can't wait for that. Then I can help make other peoples smurt like I are."
    Why do you want pick on us Northwesters out here. I really have it tough out here. I can turn around in my chair after looking at my quad monitors for several hours and take a gander at beautiful Mount Baker outside my study window. Then I can turn back and continue encoding von Soden in all its small type glory. I do not know about them dino-sare drawins but I am still looking for Bigfoot to cross my back yard.
    "sleepless in Bellingham"

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Yale View Post
    Why do you want pick on us Northwesters out here. I really have it tough out here.
    I was talkin' about them "northwestern ballistic descriptions" that everybody else was talkin' about that they wanted BibleWorks to add. Has some'n to do with arch-eee-ology or some'n. And "ballistic" is some kinda dino-sare or liz-ard, I think.

That's another thang I done learnt since I buyed BibleWorks, I mean about arch--eee--ology and all. And since then, I can tell ya, my wife thinks I is as smurt as that Aleck feller, cause she's always comparin' me to him, like when I showed her some of my drawins from the WTT she said, "Well, ain't you a gen-you-wine smurt-aleck."

I figure that Aleck feller must be pretty smurt, 'cause my wife don't say nothing she don't rightly mean. She even whups me up-side my haid sometimes when she pays me that compliment, just to make sure I know she are bein' nice to me.

So if we kin get them northwesten ballistic descriptions, I figure I kin get even smurter than that Aleck feller, and since they come from the northwest, I figure they just gotta have some dino-sares in 'em.

Also, Jim, I saw that you said you still used a Accordance. Well, Jim boy, I gotta tell ya, ya don't need them thangs no more, not now that ya got BibleWorks. Why, as long as ya got BibleWorks, it will sure-far look up all the words and verses for ya a whole lot faster than you kin flip through the pages of a Accordance, specially if you happen to be eatin' a Apple at the time!

I don't touch my Accordances any more, not now that I buyed BibleWorks. Course, I got snookered on a Accordance I buyed one time, so I'll just go ahead and warn ya'll right now...

If you ever see a Accordance by the title of Evan Shoshan, don't buy it. I buyed one without lookin' it over afore I got home, and so I got snookered.

See, when I got her home and opened her up, why, it didn't have no words in it! All it had was them same kinda drawins as what be in WTT.

I woulda returned it, but then they woulda known I weren't not smurt.

But now that I buyed BibleWorks, now I ARE smurt. As smurt as that Aleck feller, and gettin' smureter every day!
    Last edited by Adelphos; 06-18-2008 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    But now that I buyed BibleWorks, now I ARE smurt. As smurt as that Aleck feller, and gettin' smureter every day!
    You seem to be just a little too proficient in that dialect....
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    You seem to be just a little too proficient in that dialect....
    Don't encourage him. I know that Adelphos fellow, and if you push him too far, he just might sick a jackalope on you...

http://www.sudftw.com/jackcon.htm