Thread: Making BibleWorks and Vista Work

Arrow Making BibleWorks and Vista Work

After five unsuccessful attempts at installing BibleWorks 7 in Windows Vista using the special vista patch, I came across the explanation for installing BibleWorks 4 and 5 - i.e. changing the security rights on the folder itself.

I installed BibleWorks outside the Program Files folder and changed the security rights on the entire folder and everything worked fine.

It seemed much easier than the complicated process with the patch.

Updated fine to the latest exe version.

Perhaps the Vista Patch page could also include a simple explanation of just changing the rights on the folder...

I almost gave up on BibleWorks and Vista. Now I'm happy I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post
    After five unsuccessful attempts at installing BibleWorks 7 in Windows Vista using the special vista patch, I came across the explanation for installing BibleWorks 4 and 5 - i.e. changing the security rights on the folder itself.

I installed BibleWorks outside the Program Files folder and changed the security rights on the entire folder and everything worked fine.

It seemed much easier than the complicated process with the patch.

Updated fine to the latest exe version.

Perhaps the Vista Patch page could also include a simple explanation of just changing the rights on the folder...

I almost gave up on BibleWorks and Vista. Now I'm happy I didn't.
    --------------edited -------------------
    I was wrong..it only worked once. Never opened again... whenever it opens it gives me:

Bibleworks 7.0 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I uninstalled everything one last time, then worked off a printout of the Windows Vista install fix page - rebooting after the first install, doing the fix then rebooting, then it worked long enough to call up the updated, as soon as it updated, when it opened automatically, it gave me the splash screen with the updated version number, then it gave me the same error message above. I'm done trying this, over a week wasted and I have to stay with Vista. Can anyone help me from here?

Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post
    --------------edited -------------------
    I was wrong..it only worked once. Never opened again... whenever it opens it gives me:

Bibleworks 7.0 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I uninstalled everything one last time, then worked off a printout of the Windows Vista install fix page - rebooting after the first install, doing the fix then rebooting, then it worked long enough to call up the updated, as soon as it updated, when it opened automatically, it gave me the splash screen with the updated version number, then it gave me the same error message above. I'm done trying this, over a week wasted and I have to stay with Vista. Can anyone help me from here?

I know this doesn't help you but I'm running BW7 and Vista fine. It could be a problem with your Vista installation. Have you tried installing using the Run as Adminstrator? Rt Click the install file on your disc and choose it. That is how I have installed it and it runs fine. Also I do not reboot after install. I just install and then I install update and then my modules.
    Dr. Kevin Purcell I am a BW9 User!
    Columnist for Christian Computing Magazine
    See my personal blog at www.KevinPurcell.org
    Follow me on Twitter @kapurcell

All the Vista patch does is set the file permissions and update the executable. The second part is important because the oriinal executable on the CD is not Vista compatible.

I would recommend contacting tech support. Their job is to solve problems like this. Yo wouldn't want to deprive them of their reason for existence would you? We do have a Vista-specific DVD and CD now, but unless you are having serious Vista problems it doesn't do anything for you. But in your case it is worth a try.

When you restart hold the SHIFT key down and choose options to delete bith the INI file and context files. That often cures a host of ills caused by the program crashing and not being able to restart (when for example the crash resulted in a corrupted context file).

Mike

Yes, I have been able to get bibleworks running with the shift+run and deleting the ini file, but there has to be a way to fix it once for all... I have to delete the ini file EVERY time I start it...

You are correct, I will give customer support a chance to earn their money...

Talking Solved the problem installing to Vista...

Customer support earned its money! One reply to my email suggested that I might be installing BibleWorks in custom mode and de-selecting some of the files BibleWorks considers necessary. Even though I had not de-selected any of the grayed out boxes, apparently I had deselected some of the other files, which I thought were optional. I was wrong. When BibleWorks did not find everything it expected, it did not start. I was getting its basic functionality by deleting the .ini file, but this was not an appropriate solution. There were still files missing and causing program errors.

Following the suggestion of Customer Support...

I reinstalled, still selecting the Custom button, but did not de-select any of the pre-selected boxes - just added my few spanish Bibles and finished the installation. Rebooted. Applied the BW7 Vista Patch. Rebooted. Applied the bibleworks.exe update and the program started up fine. Applied the Korean Bible update and, again, the program started up fine.

So, thanks to Customer Support the operator error was found and fixed. Thanks for the quick response! Next time, I will try customer support first and keep the forums for more interesting topics.
    Last edited by Tito; 03-06-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Just wanted to say that I successfully applied the patch on my new computer with Vista. No problems whatsoever.

Great work!!

Thumbs up Smooth as Gossimer Silk

Purchased a new notebook yesterday (Sad, sob story that makes only me cry when told. Better call a Waaa Waaa Waaaaaaambulance.).

Anywise, put on my circus poodle attire and jumped through these simple, flameless hoops and viola! Vista!

Thanks for making the transition painless.