Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hebrew verb diagnostics vocabulary files

Thanks for the update Matt.

Scott, if you are getting squares along with some "random" vowel points and Hebrew characters that is the "goal." The diagnostic approach to learning the Hebrew verbal system focuses on mastering the patterns of the morphology of the Hebrew verbs instead of rote memorization of the paradigms. Certain patterns are determined to be useful for parsing a word. Not every character or vowel is helpful in identifying a word, so only those that are unique/helpful or focused on. So for the Qal passive participle you memorize first radical qamets and a shuruq between the 2nd and 3rd radical; for the Qal infinitive absolute it is first radical qamets and cholem vav between the 2nd and 3rd radicals, and so forth.

I found this method to be helpful as you identify what makes each pattern distinctive. You still have a bit to memorize, but as you progress you focus less on paradigm memorization and more on diagnostics and applying principles you learned (e.g. a guttural cannot take a vocal shewa) to understand why other changes are taking place in a word. In some ways it is similar to the mechanical parsing methods by Ross, Chisholm, Kline, etc.

Anyhow, seeing a lot of squares is to be expected

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hauger View Post
    I did use a box character as a placeholder for a consonant/radical.
    Yes. I just took a very quick look and assumed it was wrong. Now I see what you're doing. Nice work.

Default On the BW blog....finally

Posted about it here. Thanks Matt!!
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!