Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Critical Commentaries...

Default commentaries

Visit www.puritan-books.com for mega olde commentaries
    Barry

Hi Mark
    Thanks for your post here. There is a couple of things I was not aware of. The NET notes are good, it seems!

However, I could not locate the following items in my BW 7, should they be installed separately?

Wieland Willker's Textual Commentary,
    Easton's Bible Dictionary (1897)
    Fausset Bible Dictionary (1888)
    International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)

Especially the first one seems interesting - how do I locate them?

Thanks

Morten

Default Get 'em here...

Hi, Morten,
    Wieland Willker's extremely helpful Textual Commentary is available HERE on the BWBlog. Look under Textual Criticism > NT Related.

The others you mentioned:
    Easton's Bible Dictionary (1897)
    Fausset Bible Dictionary (1888)
    International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)

should have installed by default with BW7. From the menu:
    Resources > Bible Dictionaries
    When the new window opens, click on Dictionaries to choose the one you want.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply!
    I see the Bible dictionaries now, great, thanks!
    But - is there a way to have them shown also underthe Ressource Summary Tab? I cannot find a link to them there. I tend to use the RS-tab a lot.

Also, I have downloaded the Wieland textual commentary and installed it as described in the embedded instruction - unfortunately, a "missing page" is shown when I open the book (Help-file).

Is this a known error?

Thanks!
    Morten

Default Some helps...

Hi, Morten,
    The Bible Dictionaries do not show up in the Resource Summary tab.
    When using an English version, however, you can right click on a word, and one of the options is "Lookup in Default Bible Dictionary."

I don't know of any problems with the atextualcommentary files (Wieland's help files) Try opening atextualcommentary.CHM file directly from the BW7/databases directory.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

The #1 tip for anyone who downloads a CHM file from us that does not work is to make sure the file is unblocked. How do I know this is the #1 tip? I've copied this link about five times in the forums

To unblock the CHM file, see here.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Great, Michael!
    Thanks for your patience ...
    Morten

Quote Originally Posted by yugu View Post
    Hello,
    I think, that virtually all of the users of BW software would like to have in the BW every possible modern critical commentary (OTL, ICC, WBC, AB, FOTL, HK are the most know ones).
    Even more: if it would be possible to browse the Bible text along with the chosen commentary/ies aside of it (like the engine of the parallel versions?), that would be great!!! I'm quite sure that such a volume of additions/changes deserves to be done within the next program version, yet every possible progress has began from imagination...
    I'd appreciate other ideas in the area...
    Sincerely,
    Yuri.
    I think that to some extant I would like to see commentaries in Bibleworks, however, the question has to be raise of whether or not this would detract us from the text itself. The motto of Bibleworks is to focus on the text, which with the tools that they give us, reveals itself. unless you have added in some user created modules such as Homer's text, it is almost hard to open up Bibleworks and avoid the actual Bible. I find that commentaries while I turn to them for help on occasion (more than I would like to admit). However, when I do turn to them I find that I read what they write and barely look at the Text. I don't use Logos and doubt I ever will. (I simply don't have the finances to do so.) However, if I wanted more commentaries I would probably purchase something of this sort. That being said, I certainly wouldn't mind if they put more commentaries into Bibleworks, but I would probably prefer more grammar's and lexical tools. (which seems to be the Bibleworks practice as I look at the new additions to BW8).
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

And he... he wrote it while wearing a cheap cartier love ring?

/c:
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Red face All commentaries are not equal

Bw would be placed in the position of selecting which commentaries to post and i personally prefer to select the commentaries of a conservative bent rather that the other. Just a thought!