Thread: Practicing Hebrew Parsing in BW

Question Practicing Hebrew Parsing in BW

I am currently taking Hebrew II and we are working on the verb system. Does anyone know if it is possible to select 20 verbs or so, for example, do a search where I could find Qal Perf, Impf, Imp, Inf Const, Inf Abs, and Participles? This is how far we've gotten into the verb system. Once I find these verses, I can practice parsing. I am more interested on verbs like halak, I-yod, I-nun, geminate, and III-he. I'm using BW6.
    I am trying to practice my parsing by doing a Hebrew search with one lemma at a time. This is taking me for ever! If anyone could answer this question, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Tonnee10; 05-08-2008 at 09:33 AM.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but have you tried "Resources" choose "Hebrew Grammars" then "Hebrew Paradigms"? I think these are available in BW6 (they definitely are in BW7). That will show you the full possibility of forms for ljq and basic forms for many weak verbs as well.
    Remember that for perfect and imperfect there are 9 forms for each verb in Qal, another 9 for Piel, Niphal, Hiphil, etc. And for imperatives there are 4 forms for each verb in each of Qal, Piel, etc. Not all these forms occur in the Hebrew Old Testament for each verb. So, if you are looking for all the possible forms for a given lemma, you just have to do a lemma search (in WTM) and then look through the search window for all the different forms which occur in the Bible. But, as I said, I'm not sure exactly what you want to find.
    Mark Eddy

Thank you for your reply Mark. I am actually looking for all possible forms of a given lemma, so your answer is helpful! Now, is it possible to look up more than one lemma at a time? I have probably learned over 40 Hebrew verbs already and I want to train myself to recognize them. If, for example, I am only able to search one lemma at a time, I will know what that lemma is, although this is still helpful since I will have to recognize whether it is perf, impf, inf const, etc.
    Thanks again!