Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highlighting Text causes return to verse 1 of chapter.

Exclamation Highlighting Text causes return to verse 1 of chapter.

Hello,

I have noticed an unusual situation within BibleWorks 6. When I highlight text the display screen reverts to verse 1 of the chapter being highlighted.

Let me explain:

I display the entire contents of John chapter 1.

When I highlight John 1:7, the entire chapter disappears and the only thing left displayed is John 1:1.

I have found this situation a bit cumbersome, especially when going thru a large amount of text.

Various attempts at highlighting the text in different ways always produces the same results.

Suggestions, fixes, and general condolences are welcome.

TS Brumwell

Default What version

Tyrone,

I assume that when you say you are displaying all of John 1, you are in browse mode with one particular version in the Results Window.

I attempted this with John 1 displayed in browse mode with NKJ as my display version.

I was able to highlight verse 7, or any other verse or combination of verses with no problems.

Have you downloaed the latest updates?

If so, please supply more information - text display (i.e. Greek, French, etc.).
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Thanks for your reply.

English is what I usually work in.

I do have all the patches.

Doesn't matter which translation is up (in fact if i have multiple translations up, they all revert back to verse one of the chapter.

The way I usually highlight by selecting the verse, right click, select highlight, choose color, and bam! I am back to verse 1.

Default Same as verse range amnesia problem

I'm pretty sure this is another manifestation of Bibleworks forgetting a verse range. When you ask to see a chapter in multi-version mode, Bibleworks asks as thought you have typed in verse 1-999 (last verse of the chapter). Then when you do anything like add a display version, highlight a verse, or go back in the history, it forgets everythign but the first verse. In my mind, this is the only truly annoying feature of Bibleworks. It's really nonintuitive. Hopefully, they'll fix it.

The solution, as long as you're only displaying one version at a time, is to use browse mode. (Click the little feet in the toolbar.)

Steve
    Steve Whitney, pastor
    Trinity Presbyterian Church

1500 Park Blvd.
    West Sacramento, CA 95691

church: www.TrinityWestSac.org
    blog: www.UndercoverPastor.com

Talking Not anymore!

I should have reviewed Philippians 2:14 ("Do everything without complaining or arguing") before I posted that last message. It looks like the BibleWorks development team has this one licked in the latest update. The history part isn't fixed yet, but you can change all kinds of things (display versions, highlighting, browse/multi-version mode) and it remembers the verse ranges! I'm sooooo happy!

Thanks, guys!

Steve
    Steve Whitney, pastor

1500 Park Blvd.

I appreciate the feedback and assistance.
    I have switched to "browse" mode, attempted highlighting, and was successful.

Someday (over the rainbow), I hope they get a chance to adjust this bug.

Thanks,

Tyrone Brumwell

I have been notified by BibleWorks that this bug is/will be fixed via a patch.

Thanks BibleWorks.

TS Brumwell

Question Has the verse range forgetting problem been fixed?

Hi, all!

Anyone know if the problem in this thread has been fixed again. It's getting harder to run 6.0.1.010e (the version with the mostly-working, first-cut verse range remembering fix). I understand that the quick fix caused problems and had to be removed. Just curious as to whether it's been re-fixed yet.

Thanks,

Steve
    Steve Whitney, pastor

1500 Park Blvd.

Question Is the verse-range amnesia problem fixed yet?

I'm still running the ancient 6.0.1.010e that had a fix for BibleWorks forgetting the verse range you type in if you do anything else (including going back and forward). See the rest of this thread for details.

The quick fix caused a new problem and had to be backed out, but it was supposed to be fixed again "soon." That was 7 months ago.

Any word? Is it still broken in the latest? If I upgrade I won't be able to go back, and that particular problem is really annoying to me the way I use BibleWorks.

Thanks,

Steve
    Steve Whitney, pastor

1500 Park Blvd.

Default Not designed to work that way

Hi, Steve,

The BW team really works hard to allow users the flexibility they desire. That said, BW is not designed to browse in multi-version mode. That's not a bug; it's a design feature.

The parallel version dialog is the best option currently available for browsing through parallel features.

Philip Brown