Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating OT-Hebrew Documents?

Default More on keyboards

I'll look forward to your links, David.
    I have used the Microsoft's MSKLC to alter the Logos Greek keyboard.
    Using Bible Windows and Sgreek fonts long ago, I got use to typing chi on the X and xi on the C. (Always have to think twice in BW on the command line...)
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Hebrew keyboard driver here.

Greek keyboard driver here.

Transliteration keyboard driver here.

Source is included with each download. The transliteration keyboard driver is most probably best used with my modified version of Minion Pro. That is, I've added charachters to Adobe's Minion Pro font which ships with Acrobat Reader 8 with all the necessary characters for transliterating Hebrew, Aramaic, Ugaritic, Akkadian, Egyptian, and Coptic (the only really useful element it now lacks is full IPA support):

Here is the link to the updater. I am unable to supply the modified fonts themselves as this would be a breach of Minion Pro's copyright agreement. However, the copyright agreement does allow Minion Pro being modified for personal use (which is why I chose an Adobe font instead of a Microsoft font or something which generally do not allow modifications even for personal use) and my updater will add the extra characters to the Minion Pro fonts you have on your system (see the readme for more details).

Anyway, hopefully something is useful!

Regards,
    David.
    Last edited by David Kummerow; 05-25-2008 at 01:46 AM.

Question What is Unicode?

Obviously some discussion on Hebrew and Greek Unicode fonts and keyboards has been going on over my head recently, and I had no idea why we should be concerned about Unicode system, until now. I used to make Greek vocabulary lists and sort them, and the lists were arranged in English alphabetical order, not in Greek order. It was a bit inconvenient but I could live with it, since I was not involved in any publication project. Now comes this Hebrew material. After some initial difficulties in keying in Hebrew words on MS Word, I finally find a way to key them in normally, not a perfect one but an acceptable one for my purpose. I now sort the Hebrew vocabulary list, and it comes out perfect, not in English but in Hebrew alphabetic order. Great! Now Iím beginning to see why we have to insist on Unicode system.

But what is Unicode? When I try to find some info on it, I come upon all those technicalities which are beyond me. Except for the basic idea of having a uniform coding system for all the characters and signs of the world, I am all confused. Would some one kindly recommend some simple material on Unicode which a novice like me can read and understand?

Kindly,
    Yaku Lee

Default Greek driver

Thanks, David.
    As far as I can tell, you didn't do anything to alter the Tyndale Greek keyboard. I don't know that I will be able to figure out how to get it to do the breathing/accent before the vowel with all the permutations.

BTW, anyone trying to use David's keyboards will need a utility to unzip RAR files. I recommend TUGZip or 7-Zip. Both are free and will at least unzip RARs.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Thanks, David.
    I don't know that I will be able to figure out how to get it to do the breathing/accent before the vowel with all the permutations.
    Yes, that's the tricky and time-consuming part. Took me a while to get how to set this up properly with my transliteration driver. I chose to follow Microsoft's practice with their International keyboard (which I tend to use for entering German and French) and have the entering of diacritics before the letter. I assume this is why the Tyndale driver also works the the same way.

Regards,
    David.