Thread: Creating OT-Hebrew Documents?

Hybrid View

Default Creating OT-Hebrew Documents?

Using Korean edition of MS Word of MS Office Professional Edition 2003, I installed “Other Language Support” (Control Panel, Country & Language Option, Language tab) on MS Windoes XP. I have Bwhebb.ttf installed. Choosing “Hebrew Input Device” on MS Word and clicking “Right to Left” icon, it looks OK except that the keyboard doesn’t behave properly. Eg., for “a” you don’t get a but X, and for “~” not ~ but “~,” etc. With the shift key depressed, it behaves partially OK. Moreover I cannot designate Bwhebb on the font box. How can I fix it so that I can create “normal” OT-Hebrew documents?
    Last edited by Yaku Lee; 05-01-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: For clarity

BW fonts are not unicode fonts so are unsuitable for what you are trying to do, ie using the language support etc. of the OS and Office.

Install the SIL Hebrew keyboard driver and for fonts use either SBL Hebrew or Ezra SIL.

Regards,
    David Kummerow.

Wink Creating Hebrew Texts

It surely sounds very odd that I should raise a question and I should answer the same sometime later, but that is what really happened. And I am posting this answer hoping to help some other agonizing souls like myself.
    I explored every possibility I could get my hands on with no avail, and I accidentally looked at the gray area on the BW User Forums and found “BibleWorks Customer Support FAQs.” Perhaps there is my answer?
    Voila! Yes. Go to “Fonts and Keyboard Issues” in the section “Troubleshooting,” and find the article “How Can I Key Hebrew Text into BibleWorks or a Word Processor?” by Charlie, a BibleWorks Staff. Follow the instruction and your headache is gone.
    However there seems to be some minor glitches to be resolved. (1) Normal editing mark for space is a shaded dot in the middle, but it appears as a square here. Hide the editing mark, and the squares disappear. (2) Final Kafs have some problems. The little Sheva and Kamets do not hang up there as the Chireck does, and they fall down to the bottom. (3) Cholem does not get attached to a consonant but takes a character space of its own. (4) For no apparent reason the keyboard suddenly behaves erratically, and just as suddenly it goes back to normal. I couldn’t figure out why.
    I submitted these problems to the BW customer service division and they promised to attend to them in the near future. I hope they will take care of them very soon.
    Yaku Lee

Most of the issues you list above sound to me like issues with the particular font you are using. For example, the holem spacing issue I know happens with Times New Roman but that has now been repaired with the version shipped with Vista I've heard. Using BL Hebrew or Ezra SIL there are no such issues.

Regards,
    David.

Default Another possible issue

The Unicode Hebrew KEYBOARDS are not created equal. It is a known problem when typing Greek in the editor window.
    The one keyboard system that does seem to work is the one from Tavultesoft, Keyman. I can't speak for sure about Hebrew, but you can try the program for free before buying for $19. I have more info here.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Isn't Keyman for non-unicode fonts? In terms of Greek, I've modified the Tyndale keyboard driver and for Hebrew I've slightly modified the SBL one. For transliteration, I've done one from scratch.

Regards,
    David.