Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Bible for the "Name"

Default Best Bible for the "Name"

I'm a newby and have'nt received my software yet. I'm looking for a bible with the Name Yahweh being used instead of "the lord". I know there is a Rotherham bible at online bible.org but not sure if there is one with BW?

Default Bibles for the "Name"

I'm not at home, so this is from memory - not confirmed empirically.
    The ASV uses Jehovah (circa 1900),
    the New Jerusalem Bible uses Yahweh (late 20th century)
    Several of the "Literal" ones use Jehovah or Adonai (mid to late 19th centruy)

All of the above are shipped with BW7 if my failing memory serves.

I think the CJB.. Complete Jewish Bible would work well for both NT and OT and the Tanakh for the OT.

John Fidel

Hey Ephraim,

I concur with John. Go with CJB. At least check it out, when the BW7 software arrives.

Now for my daily tangent. Your signature "Team YHWH" reminded me of this show I used to watch, "Chopper Build Off" (something along those lines). A Christian down in Tennessee builds amazing choppers, two of which made a lot of noise in the Chopper Community. YHWH and "Savior." The name of his company is Amen Motorcycles. It'd be cool if "Team YHWH" thundered up to church on a couple of these. JMHO.

Last edited by SCSaunders; 04-14-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Default Third commandment?

What about the third commandment and naming choppers?

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann View Post
    What about the third commandment and naming choppers?
    I understand what "taking the name of the Lord in vain" is. Do you?

I also understand that Amen Choppers is reaching a "Hell's Angels" community with Jesus Christ.

Maybe we should all be like the Pharisees and the teachers of the law (Scribes), not "welcoming" tax collectors and sinners, who may "have ears to hear" and want to hear. Jesus, in my Bible, left the 99 who didn't think they needed repentance and went after the one. Threw a party afterwards. Went after a lost coin. Found it and threw as party. Was moved by compassion for a prodigal son and said, "... this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found."

It's okay Dale. I understand that you are representing all the academentia types.

I can roll with that.

PS - would you please give me a list of things, general is fine, which one we can write Jesus' name on and one in which we can't write Jesus' name on. For purely academentia reasons, I'd be interested. I'd settle for just the criteria of what we can and can't write "YHWH" on. That'd be cool.

Thanks ahead of time for your answer. I know that you speak in the name of the Lord.
    Last edited by SCSaunders; 04-15-2008 at 07:06 AM.

Default 3rd Commandment,...

Ya the third commandment is all messed up with the English. It pretty much says literally,...."You shall not cause the name Yahweh to come to nothingness". It says to USE THE NAME (Psalms 22:22/Joel 2:32)

See "The Sacred Name" at www.yahweh.org
    under publications

amazing

Paradox perplexes the pharisaic.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    But then, to whom was I referring?
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't lost on you.

PS. Bob, with aphorisms, the referent gets lost at times. With my answer here, I'm explicitly saying, that you are not sanctimonious nor a pharisee if that's how my post came across. I'm adding this extra text to nuance my comments to an unequivocal meaning, nuance ad pedantum.
    Last edited by SCSaunders; 04-18-2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Clarity - SCSaunders Love BobVenem

Default CJB does not use Yahweh

Quote Originally Posted by jfidel View Post
    I think the CJB.. Complete Jewish Bible would work well for both NT and OT and the Tanakh for the OT.
    I just got around to checking the CJB, and discovered that it uses ADONAI instead of Yahweh.
    Which honors Judaic tradition, but does nothing to recognize the significance of naming god.

So if you really want Yahweh, your only choice is NJB (New Jerusalem Bible). (I prefer the original Jerusalem Bible, but haven't been able to find it online.)

--Jim