Thread: Analysis Window Data for User Created Modules

Question Analysis Window Data for User Created Modules

Wanting to branch out a little with my Greek, I successfully installed a user created module of Xenophon's Works. When I moused over the Greek text, however, I received a message in the Analysis Window that there is "no Analysis Window data for this version and/or word".

I am using BDAG as my primary lexicon and I tried this using very common words that appear in the NT, so I know this isn't purely a case of Xenophon using a word that doesn't occur in the NT.

Is there a way to link BDAG to this module, at least for those words which appear in both resources?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott

Default Short answer: Nope - Long answer: there is another way

Hi, Scott,
    In order to link Xenophon with BDAG, you would need a morphologically analyzed version of Xenophon. (What you have now is just the text version, and I doubt a morphological version is available.)

You can, however, use the external links manager to create a link to look up the Greek form at the Perseus web site which will get you to the appropriate entry in the Liddell-Scott-Jones Lexicon.

Do note that Perseus has apparently phased out the previous site (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu), and one should now go to Perseus4 at http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/. For now, even though the site claims that searching capability has been restored as of 3.28.2008, the site is not working well at all.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Ha, surely you didn't think it was *that* easy! Here's the catch. In order for lexicon links/parsing data to be available, the databases need to be paired with a morphological database. The morph database is the one responsible for telling you (and the lexicon) which entry to look up. The reason why you can do this in Philo, the NT, Josephus, etc. is because the BW folks have made the morphological files to go with them.

The Greek texts I've offered (with the exception being Homer/Hesiod) do not have companion morphological texts, which is why you see nothing pop up in the analysis window. If you want to make a morphological version from scratch, you can do that, compile it and then you will get that information just like with your other databases.

It is possible through the external links feature to right click and look words up via Perseus online, but I've found this to be unreliable overall as Perseus' website is often down (Although this hasn't happened for a few months) or slow running.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Thanks

Thanks to all for your kind and timely replies!

Scott