Thread: How do I search the whole lemma at once?

Default How do I search the whole lemma at once?

I have been having trouble with a search function I'd like to do. Is it possible to use the command line to search out every occurrence of a particular root (e.g., pisteuw), such that every noun, verb, adjective, etc. from that root will be displayed in the verse results? I know how to use the asterisks, but this is far too cumbersome, especially when trying to do this in the Hebrew.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyvail View Post
    I have been having trouble with a search function I'd like to do. Is it possible to use the command line to search out every occurrence of a particular root (e.g., pisteuw), such that every noun, verb, adjective, etc. from that root will be displayed in the verse results? I know how to use the asterisks, but this is far too cumbersome, especially when trying to do this in the Hebrew.
    This can't be done as such because BW does not have a search method by root. You can haphazardly make guesses at this by searching BGT for .*pist* but that will be less successful for other words, especially in Hebrew. You can make guesses at what words are related by root and then search for them or go to the lexica to find out more info, but otherwise there is no silver bullet for doing this kind of thing.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default There is a better way...

I think there is a good way to get at what you want.
    Use one of the Louw-Nida domains. You can get at it via the WordList Manager or directly through the Graphical Search Engine. (Use it with the BGM or BNM or GNM version.)
    In your particular case, you would want domain 31, and you could limit it down to one of the subdomains or even select individual words. The advantage of this approach is that it would not only get all the pist* words, but it would also help you see all the *pist* words and other synonyms.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Thanks

Thank you Michael and Mark for the quick replies. I'll try these options.