Thread: NET verses

Question NET verses

I see that the NET has 30 fewer verses than the NIV. How can i find out which verses they are?

Default NIV verses not in the NET version

To find these NET verses, I looked for blank NET verses. By using the "Tools" "Export Database" feature of BW 6, I exported all the NET verses to a text file, then a quick import into an Access database let me search for blank verses. From doing so, I actually obtained a list of 32 blank NET verses follows. I also looked them all up in BW 6, to see them in BW 6. The text of some of the verses are actually in the NET version, these are emboldened below when I found the text in a previous verse. What I found follows.

Steve Kolk

Lev 6:8 - blank
    Num 7:65 - included in text of Num 7:64
    Num 7:71 - included in text of Num 7:70
    Num 16:36 - blank
    Num 17:13 - included in text of Num 17:12
    1Ki 4:21 - included in text of 1Ki 4:20
    1Ch 6:16 - included in text of 1Ch 6:15
    1Ch 12:5 - included in text of 1Ch 12:4
    Eze 11:9 - included in text of Eze 11:8
    Mat 12:20 - included in text of Mat 12:19
    Mat 15:9 - included in text of Mat 15:8
    Mat 17:21 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Mat 18:11 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Mat 23:14 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Mar 7:16 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Mar 9:44 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Mar 9:46 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Mar 11:26 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Mar 15:28 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Luk 17:36 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Luk 22:43 - blank
    Luk 23:17 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Joh 5:4 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Act 7:43 - blank
    Act 8:37 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Act 15:34 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Act 24:7 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Act 28:29 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    Rom 11:10 - included in text of Rom 11:9
    Rom 16:24 - blank, and the NIV also does not have this verse
    2Co 13:14 - included in text of 2Co 13:13
    Heb 3:10 - included in text of Heb 3:9

Default Thanks

Thanks for the list. Yours got me thinking that i should be able to do this w/in BW6 and not have to use an outside program (Access, in your case). Sure enough, BW6 proves its worth. I used a simple ASE (oxymoron, i know) query with 2 boxes -- an "WORD" box connected to an "AND" box. In the word box, i selected NIV as the version and placed a * in the word field under "Search Option." This found every word in the NIV, which by default, brought up every verse -- 31086 vss. (This was actually 16 vss less than the 31102 vss the auto-info window says for the NIV. So i sent these results to the detailed stats window and scrolled down to find the books with fewer matches than total vss [Matt, Mar, Luk, Jn, Acts, Rom]. Then, i selected the "Show Chapters" checkbox and looked through those 6 books to find which chapters had fewer matches than total verses; then i went back to the query results and scrolled down to those chapters to find the 16 missing vss. These were blank vss. The reference was there, but there was no vs. However, i must admit some confusion b/c the auto-info window said there are 0 blank vss for the NIV but i found 16.)

After bringing up these 31086 vss, i sent them to the Verse List Manager and saved it.

Using the same ASE, i switched the search version for both the "AND" and "WORD" boxes to the NET to bring up all 31072 NET vss. I sent this to the VLM as well in the Secondary Verse List, and opened up the NIV vss into the Main List. I chose the option to highlight vss common to both lists and then deleted the highlighted selection, and Wah-lah --leaving me with 16 vss in the NIV not in the NET:

Lev. 6:8

Num. 7:65, 71

Num. 16:36

Num. 17:13

1 Ki. 4:21

1 Chr. 6:16

1 Chr. 12:5

Ezek. 11:9

Matt. 12:20

Matt. 15:9

Lk. 22:43

Acts 7:43

Rom. 11:10

2 Co. 13:14

Heb. 3:10

And 2 vss in the NET not in the NIV:

3 Jn 1:15

Rev 12:18

I'm simply amazed.

It looks from a quick scan of vss that we have identical vss and your summaries are helpful.

Default Alexandrian New Testament Omissions

Dear Brothers:

Please excuse my ignorance. I am fairly new at this, but below is what someone gave me concerning some missing verses in the NT in some newer translations. Can anyone shed some light on this??!?!

Alexandrian New Testament Omissions

Verses Omitted in "Modern" Translations Based on the Westcott-Hort Text

Matthew 17:21
    Matthew 18:11
    Matthew 23:14
    Mark 7:16
    Mark 9:44
    Mark 9:46
    Mark 11:26
    Mark 15:28
    Luke 17:36
    Luke 23:17
    John 5:4
    Acts 8:37
    Acts 15:34
    Acts 24:7
    Acts 28:29
    Romans 16:24

Agape Love, always.

Yours, in His Holy Name,
    Tom W.

Cool Missing verses

G'day Tom

Most modern translations are based on more ancient manuscripts than the King James Version and the New King James. These manuscripts have the odd verse missing, because it is not thought that those verses were original. They are ancient, but not as old as the original.

Of course, some list members [hi Scott] don't accept this theory and believe that the newer manuscripts used to translate the KJV and NKJV are more reliable. For one thing, the majority of manuscripts agree with these later ones.

I hope this helps, and I hope that I have fairly presented the views of the 2 groups [though, in a very short space].

David McKay
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~musicke

Lightbulb NET Bible response

Thanks, all, for your input on the NET Bible. With the exception of 2Co 13:14, the verses quoted by frankenfro are formatting problems that carried through into the conversion into BibleWorks. Thanks for your patience in getting these issues resolved.

Todd Lingren
    Publishing Director
    NET Bible

Default Welcome!

Todd!!

Welcome to the BibleWorks forum!

Gary