Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Search doesn't work ???

Default Search doesn't work ???

I'm really asking myself how to get the search to work. I use bibleworks for over some years, but i didn't have such a problem ever.
    1. Choosing Luther Bibel 1984 as search version.
    2. writing to comand line ".bund"
    3. The colour changes into red, and it is said, that this word "cannot be found in the current search version"
    4. That's impossible "bund" is the german translation of covenant
    5. The Word list contains a entry "bund 240"
    6. I restarted Bibleworks using the configuration manager and startetd with the default oiptions- nothing changed
    7. Even by insterting ".bu*@*" the answer is: "cannot be found in the current search version"

I just have to ask: Any Idea what's going on?

Default No "bund" in the limit range selected?

Sounds like you have a limit set that doesn't include the term bund. To clear that, type "L" on the command line, which clears limits; then try your search again.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Default No limit set

I don't have any search limit set, but only three squares on the lfet sid of the serarch version button are green. the square in the upper right corner is yellow.

I use Bibelworlks Version 7.0.019e.3 and Windows Vista Home premium

Default Repair and Reinstall doesn't change anything

I just used the repair option of the Setup. Result: Nothing changed
    I retryed using the resetup.exe. Result: Nothing changed.

Is that a bug?

Quote Originally Posted by fishfishf View Post
    I don't have any search limit set, but only three squares on the lfet sid of the serarch version button are green. the square in the upper right corner is yellow.

I use Bibelworlks Version 7.0.019e.3 and Windows Vista Home premium
    Here's what BW7 Help says about the limit squares:
    Top Left: This is yellow if you have any search limits set.
    Bottom Left: This is yellow if you have any cross version search options set.
    Top Right: This is yellow if accent-sensitive searching is on for the current search version or if "smart apostrophes" is turned on for English versions.
    Bottom Right: This is yellow if you are using a Hebrew version and Hebrew vowel-sensitive searching is on.

So, you need to check into accent sensitive searching (in BW7 Command Line Search Options) or check out your settings for "smart apostrophes".
    I also noticed that the top right square turns yellow when you change the search version manually to a German version. E.g. I have all nothern European versions in one of my favorites, with BGT as the search version. When I right click on LUT and make it the search version, the top right square turns yellow. BW7 considers German to be a west European language for accent sensitive searching, even though German has no accents. But I have no trouble searching on .bund. BW finds all 240 instances for me, even with accent sensitive searching enables. (I am running Windows XP, if that makes any difference.)
    Here is another possibility: do you by chance have a secondary browse window open? If you have more than just one browse window open, sometimes you think that you are searching in one language, when BW7 is active in another window and is searching in another language.
    E.g. if your main browse window has a Greek version as the search version, and your secondary browse window has a German search version, when you type on the command line BW may think you want the Greek when you want the German. There currently is a bug in the secondary browse window, if you change search versions within that window more than twice BW refuses to remember any more changes of search version. In that case, you just close down the secondary browse window and start over.
    If you are in the main browse window, then I suggest rebooting and see if the problem persists, because I never have any problems in the main browse window.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 03-14-2008 at 09:56 PM.

Default doesn't work yet

ok, i just made
    1. a clean install (= deinstall, restart computer, install)
    2. applied the vista fix patch successfully
    3. applied every update available
    4. Now i have BibleWorks Version 7.0.019e.8

and the result is: Nothing changed

It 's not the case, that the search doesn't operate at all. It Works fine with some words, with others not: There seems only a problem with words starting with "b", but not all b-words. Some work. But of course i didn't checked the whole alphabet

Here is another possibility: do you by chance have a secondary browse window open?
    No

Here's what BW7 Help says about the limit squares:
    [...]

So, you need to check into accent sensitive searching (in BW7 Command Line Search Options) or check out your settings for "smart apostrophes".
    I also noticed that the top right square turns yellow when you change the search version manually to a German version.
    I actually use German version as search version. I checked out accent sensitive searching(WE)

Nothing changed. BUt thank you for your helpful advices.

Any further idea?

Default Vista Strikes again

I've taken a look at this and it seems to be a Vista problem. BibleWorks uses system resources to determine the sort order of word to build and use word indexes. For some unknown reason Vista changes the order in which German words are sorted! That means the German version databases compiled under all previous versions of Windows will not work under Vista. You can fix it yourself until we are able to find a resolution. What you have to do is use the BibleWorks exporter to export the version to a text file. Then use the BibkeWorks Version Database Compiler to recompile the version. Be sure to name it something different. You could use LUTV instead of LUT for example. If you don't know how to do this please hang on until we can put together a set of instructions. This is only a temporary fix of couse. One of two things will happen: (1) if this is a Vista bug that is fixed in the forthcoming service pack, we'll require German users to get the update (it's free) or (2) if this is a bug that Microsoft isn't going to fix we have to recompile all German versions and maintain separate versions for Vista and non-Vista setups.

Before providing a final solution to this we'd like to do some testing and see if the service pack will fix this. If the German versions have to be recompiled, we will post new versions. Grrrr.

To repeat what we have said before: stay away from Vista if you can avoid it. It will waster your time and money.

Default QSM & QST don't search

I'm not sure if this is related, but I cannot search either QSM or QST. I have turned off limits to no avail and even attempted a custom search range. I am running Windows 2000 not Vista.

Thanks,
    Dr. Hal Harless

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    I've taken a look at this and it seems to be a Vista problem. BibleWorks uses system resources to determine the sort order of word to build and use word indexes. For some unknown reason Vista changes the order in which German words are sorted! That means the German version databases compiled under all previous versions of Windows will not work under Vista. You can fix it yourself until we are able to find a resolution. What you have to do is use the BibleWorks exporter to export the version to a text file. Then use the BibkeWorks Version Database Compiler to recompile the version.
    Thank you for this advice - it worked Regarding the German versions: I'm not sure whether this problem concerns all German versions, i do not use them all too often. Uups - i just recognized, that it is also true to EIN - the same problem (.bund)

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    To repeat what we have said before: stay away from Vista if you can avoid it. It will waster your time and money.
    I use Vista for more than 1 1/2 years now, and in my case one of the few programs with Vista-Problems is BibleWorks. I appreciate BW and i'm glad to have it, and i really don't want to insult you and your work, but (in my case) it is simple true. But thank you for your professional help.

Default Search Problem Resolved by Recompiling Database

The problem discussed in this thread was due to an issue with sort order in Windows Vista. This problem has been fixed in the most recent update of the BibleWorks executable, 7.0.019g.

Simply open the updater within BibleWorks (HELP > BIBLEWORKS ON THE INTERNET > CHECK FOR UPDATES,) then choose and apply the new executable from the list.
    Last edited by RickGross; 04-16-2008 at 05:19 PM.