Thread: Problems with SPAM?

Default Problems with SPAM?

I was just clearing out a few SPAM messages that managed to beat my filters (which is a good job by the way). The messages that got through were sent from fake corporate address, and the message body contained the "real" email address of the spammer.

This email address got me thinking. First I thought I should maybe report to Spamhaus/DSBL etc. Then I felt tempted to reply with some harsh words, which finally led my to yet another thought that had never before struck me: That behind even the worst spam messages is a person trying to contact me. A person that is Gods creation and infinitely loved by Him. Why should I not treat them with the same compassion as God has treated me? Wouldn't it be a good idea to begin replying to the spammers with the good new of our Lord?

Now, I realize that it is highly unlikely that a reply to a spammer will ever be read. And even if it would be, the spammer would probably only laugh at the naive response. But there is a slight chance that it might make a difference. And isn't that enough? If I spent my whole life replying to these messages and only one person would be saved, it would still be infinitely valuable to that one person. Right?

Just a thought
    Last edited by Sakki; 01-30-2008 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Spelling&syntax

I've often used the same tactic with telemarketers. They call me with an agenda (selling something). I'm usually more than happy to listen if they'll first listen to my agenda (sharing the Gospel). Either they hang up and I can go on with my day, or the Holy Spirit pricks their conscience and the Heavens rejoice...

Of course, I've only ever had the first one happen so far...