Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nova Vulgata is now available

Default errors in printed version of new vulgate " editio typica, " 1979, vatican editrice

Found an error in Ps 15 (16) second line "... conserva me, Deus, quoniam speravi in te..." Clearly " Deus " is a mistake because " Deus " has no vocative singular and the vocative is clearly called for here. " Domine " should have been used.

I was wondering if there is a catelogued list of such errors for this edition?

Found an error in Ps 15 (16) second line "... conserva me, Deus, quoniam speravi in te...
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    " Clearly " Deus " is a mistake because " Deus " has no vocative singular
    and the vocative is clearly called for here. " Domine " should have been used.

I was wondering if there is a catelogued list of such errors for this edition?

Name:  deus.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  32.3 KB

Default clarification

It's not entirely clear to me what the initial problem was. Linus, are you saying that the print version says Domine, while the BibleWorks version says Deus, OR are you saying the print version of the Nova Vulgata says Deus, but that it really should say Domine?
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Psalm 16 in NOV

Presumably Deus is right, as the Hebrew has El, not the tetragrammaton.

[QUOTE=Michael Hanel;27071]It's not entirely clear to me what the initial problem was. Linus, are you saying that the print version says Domine, while the BibleWorks version says Deus, OR are you saying the print version of the Nova Vulgata says Deus, but that it really should say Domine?

No problem. The Nova Vulgata used " Deus " in the Vocative Singular and Bennett's Grammar, ch 25, par 4, pg 17 of the 1918 printing says " Deus " has no Vocative Singular. Since making this remark however others have pointed out sources which use " Deus " in the Vocative Singular. One of these is here : " I happened to be reading an ancient grammar " Adan's Grammar " by Charles Dexter Cleveland, Phil, 1836, available at Goole Books online. In his examples for the second declension he declines " Deus " and shows " Deus " as the correct form for the Vocative Singular. So Bennett is wrong or there is a disagreement among scholars ( nothing new). Just thought that was interesting.

However, anyone who has looked into the history of the development of the Vulgate knows that there are errors in all of them to a greater or lesser degree. Even so, the Pontiffs from the Council of Trent to the present day, who have commented on their integrety, warrant that they are free of all errors of Doctrine or Morals but not necessarily free of other errors like grammar, vocabulary, punctuation, etc. They further state that they are preferred over all others for Ecclesiastical and Liturgical use and as a tool for translating such works into the vernacular.

The reason I was so impressed was that I always expected them to more or less free of any errors at all. And when I started comparing the Clementine and the Nova Vulgata I found quite a few differences in most chapters, all indeed that I have looked at. So I was just curious why and now I know. The original writers were Inspired but not those who came after. And it is the Church who decides on their Doctrinal and Moral integrity - at least for Catholics.

Default Errors in NOV

In Nova Vulgata BibleWorks edition: NOV, I have found these errors:
    An 'e' is sometimes replaced with a 'c', and a capital 'i' (I) is replaced by a lowercase 'l' (L).

Genesis
    24:23 (lndica/Indica), 37:2 (scptem/septem), 37:25 (viatorcs/viatores), 39:4 (loseph/Ioseph), 46:17 (lesua et Isui/Iesua et Iesui);
    Exodus
    5:2 (responclit/respondit);
    Numbers
    23:27 (alum/alium);
    Joshua
    17:1 (Manasse - ipse/Manasse ipse) (Ioseph -; Machir/Ioseph Machir);
    I Samuel
    19:7 (2nd) lonathan/Ionathan), 21:6 (quoad/quo ad), 23:6 (Achimelcch/Achimelech), 23:23 (quodsi/ quod si);
    I Kings
    12:21 (congrcgavit/congregavit), 15:16 (lsrael/Israel), 17:20 (etiamne/etiam ne), 22:2 (ludae/Iudae);
    II Kings
    18:9 (Assvriorum/Assyriorum);
    Psalms 76-150
    136:25 (n/in);
    Maccabees II
    2:32 (efffluere/effluere);

New Testament

Matthew
    18:3 (efiiciamini/efficiamini), 23:39 (Dominil/ Domini!);
    Mark
    2:10 (interra/in terra), 8:28 (dicentcs/ dicentes), 10:24 (diffficile/difficile;
    I Timothy
    3:16 (mumdo/mundo);
    Hebrews
    3:11 (sicut icut/sicut).
    Last edited by pasquale; 01-23-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Default Deus Vocative!!!

Can you see this:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/270330

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  6.2 KB

ciao pasquale

Quote Originally Posted by pasquale View Post
    In Nova Vulgata BibleWorks edition: NOV, I have found these errors:
    An 'e' is sometimes replaced with a 'c', and a capital 'i' (I) is replaced by a lowercase 'l' (L).

Looks like pretty typical OCR errors. These are all inherited from the original e-text on the Vatican webpage. Not sure if BibleWorks has the authority to fix errors in the text they received or if they have to report them to the source.

You can add 1Cor 4:16 imitatorcs/imitatores (cf. with online)
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 01-23-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!