Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need helpful editor for Baibala Hemolele (Hawaiian Version)

Exclamation Need helpful editor for Baibala Hemolele (Hawaiian Version)

I am preparing the Baibala Hemolele, or the Hawaiian Bible, for compilation. I have already completed the New Testament and the books of Moses. But the OT poetic books are getting very labor intensive because of all the poetical sections. Each poetic verse has a space and then a carriage return (or some kind of line break) at the end and the next line begins with several spaces. I need a easy way to select the space, break, and several spaces and replace them with a single space so that I end up with the whole verse on one line. I've tried using the replace function on several editors but for some reason it doesn't work. An example of the problem text can be found at http://baibala.org/cgi-bin/bible?e=d...2.2.5&toc=0&vv=

Anybody know of a text editor that can do it? Or some other trick?

Aloha,

Les Pedersen
    Keaau, Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by papabear22 View Post
    I am preparing the Baibala Hemolele, or the Hawaiian Bible, for compilation. I have already completed the New Testament and the books of Moses. But the OT poetic books are getting very labor intensive because of all the poetical sections. Each poetic verse has a space and then a carriage return (or some kind of line break) at the end and the next line begins with several spaces. I need a easy way to select the space, break, and several spaces and replace them with a single space so that I end up with the whole verse on one line. I've tried using the replace function on several editors but for some reason it doesn't work. An example of the problem text can be found at http://baibala.org/cgi-bin/bible?e=d...2.2.5&toc=0&vv=

Anybody know of a text editor that can do it? Or some other trick?

Aloha,

Les Pedersen
    Keaau, Hawaii
    Each text editor functions a little differently, but in Word for example you can search and replace "^p" (no quotes) with " " (a space key) and it will do what you said, you would then have to re-add carriage returns for verse numbers, remove tabs (^t) etc. But it might get you what you want.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Maholo Nui Loa (Thank-you very much!)

I thought I had tried that in Word, but I did what you said and it worked. I guess I was doing something wrong. Perhaps I was just trying to stay up to late working on it. Thanks again!

Aloha,

Les Pedersen

I am preparing the Baibala Hemolele, or the Hawaiian Bible, for compilation.

Aloha,

Les Pedersen
    Keaau, Hawaii
    This is awesome. Hawaiian is a very beautiful language, very melodic - at least when I heard is spoken.

An adult who had a huge influence on my younger life was Hawaiian. I still check up on him, through the web. I pray for him often. You're doing a great work. I hope he reads it (or in answer to prayer, has been reading it.)

http://www.olohe.com/
    Last edited by SCSaunders; 12-11-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Lightbulb Ultraedit

Hi,
    UltraEdit (www.ultraedit.com) is a very powerful editor, but unfortunately comes at a price (i.e. not Freeware).

Regards,
    Willem
    Last edited by Willem Swanepoel; 12-12-2007 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Fix spelling mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Willem Swanepoel View Post
    Hi,
    UltraEdit (www.ultraedit.com) is a very powerful editor, but unfortunately comes at a price (i.e. not Freeware).

Regards,
    Willem
    Les,

Just say the word and I'll buy it for you. I'll purchase it then send it to your email address, promising not to keep a copy back for myself. No violations committed.

Let me know.

Default Notepad++

I have been using Notepad++, a very powerful freeware text editor. It has lots of great features. It will probably do all you need, plus a whole lot more. Here is the link to the site:

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Glenn

Default TextPad

I use TextPad.

www.textpad.com

It only handles ASCII characters, but it handles regular expression search and replace functions. I've done a lot of my own home-grown BibleWorks texts using TextPad.

It has a free trial version, but I liked it so much, I went ahead and bought a copy.
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

...I've tried using the replace function on several editors but for some reason it doesn't work....
    You might also take a look at Note Tab Pro --

http://www.notetab.com/

This is the editor that was used to construct Tischendorf's apparatus that comes with BibleWorks.

It handles not only all kinds of text files, but html and other stuff as well, plus it's programmable, and has a slew of programming scripts that already comes with it.

I've been using it for six or seven years after trying all kinds of editors previous to that, and since I've been using Note Tab Pro I've never looked for another editor again.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 12-12-2007 at 12:37 PM.

Exclamation Freeware edirot (Close to Ultraedit)

I have found an editor which is very close to UltraEdit (which is the one I use for all my editing). It is called Crimson Editor, freeware and can be downloaded from:

http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

Regards,
    Willem