Thread: cannot display Chinese version

Hybrid View

Default cannot display Chinese version

I am using BW7. I downloaded Chinese versions database and had succeeded in displaying the traditional Chinese version. But I do not remember what happened that I am no longer able to display Chinese version. When I selected the "Choose Display Version(s)" item under View menu pulldown, I get the Choose Display Versions window, but there are only 3 language groups English, Greek, and Hebrew with the Show Only Active Languages checkbox checked. When I unchecked the Show Only Active Languages checkbox, there are 4 language groups displayed, English, Greek, Hebrew and Latin. Where are all other language group including Chinese? I email to BW but did not get useful support for my question. So, I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out by bringing Chinese version back.

I have one more question about the usage of BW7. I cannot bring up Hebrew keyboard. I clicked the icon for Bible Works Keyboard Layouts to show the window, but the pulldown menu under Keyboard Layouts does not contain an item for Hebrew language. There are all kinds of languages including Chinese and Greeks. Why Hebrew keyboard layout is missing? Please help. Thanks.

John Chen

Default try this!

John,

Try this.
    1. Go to BW online help
    2. Search for "Chinese"
    3. Paragraphs discussing how to display chinese should come up.
    4. Try follow the direction.

It is likely XP language problem.

Mark

Default Reply

John, I think your display problems of traditional Chinese characters (fantizi) does not depend on any special configuration problem regarding Bible Works.
    The checking of display languages options in Bible Works in my opinion is not related to the display problem.

What Windows version do you have, and do you run a non-Chinese (i.e., Western Windows system)?

If so, you must install Chinese language support for Simplified and/or Traditional Chinese. Use control panel/Language and Regional Settings (Windows XP and better).

Another reason may be that you do not have the required fonts to display Traditional Chinese characters (Mingliu.ttf, Simsun.ttf or similar).

Can you provide more detailed information on your Windows system? Maybe, then I could give a more concrete and more helpful reply.

Quote Originally Posted by John Chen View Post
    I am using BW7. I downloaded Chinese versions database and had succeeded in displaying the traditional Chinese version. But I do not remember what happened that I am no longer able to display Chinese version. When I selected the "Choose Display Version(s)" item under View menu pulldown, I get the Choose Display Versions window, but there are only 3 language groups English, Greek, and Hebrew with the Show Only Active Languages checkbox checked. When I unchecked the Show Only Active Languages checkbox, there are 4 language groups displayed, English, Greek, Hebrew and Latin. Where are all other language group including Chinese? I email to BW but did not get useful support for my question. So, I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out by bringing Chinese version back.

John Chen
    You may want to try modifying your Bibleworks installation by inserting the installation disks that came with the program and reinstalling the Chinese language texts. Just a suggestion, but it couldn't hurt trying.

Irving