Thread: BibleWorks & the Kindle

Smile BibleWorks & the Kindle

Over the past few days, I have listened to the hype and the criticism and I am really still not sure what I think about the Kindle from Amazon. I do know that I would love to carry a Kindle to class instead of the 3-4 required textbooks in addition to my laptop. I have also thought how nice it would be to have multiple reference works in that form factor (like HALOT, BDAG, Hebrew & Greek grammars, etc.). On the other hand I am not sure that a 1st generation Kindle is the solution to this dilemma (especially at a $400 price point).

I was wondering what people at BibleWorks think about the Kindle. Even though the BibleWorks program does way more than a Kindle, you guys have dealt with electronic texts for a while now. You have dealt with text format conversion issues. You have thought about the user/reader's experience. It would be awesome to hear any thoughts that people at BibleWorks and the rest of the BibleWorks community has on the Kindle.

John T.

Finally, dreaming a little bit, if you could find a way to integrate the Kindle and BibleWorks, what would you do? A BibleWorks app for the Kindle (assuming that third party apps will be available at some point)?

Quote Originally Posted by johnt View Post
    Over the past few days, I have listened to the hype and the criticism and I am really still not sure what I think about the Kindle from Amazon.
    I don't know much about Kindle, but have you seen Sony's Digital Reader? I don't own one, but I've actually held the Sony in my hand and fiddled with it, and it's very nice.

And you can get it for $100 or more cheaper than Kindle.

I might add, my wife is a flight attendant and some of her friends swear by the Sony.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 11-30-2007 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    I don't know much about Kindle, but have you seen Sony's Digital Reader? I don't own one, but I've actually held the Sony in my hand and fiddled with it, and it's very nice.

And you can get it for $100 or more cheaper than Kindle.

I might add, my wife is a flight attendant and some of her friends swear by the Sony.
    Today, I saw a techno-dude comparing the two. He felt the Sony was currently the better buy.

As for the Kindle, it seems that the early-adopters always get singed.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSaunders View Post
    Today, I saw a techno-dude comparing the two. He felt the Sony was currently the better buy.

As for the Kindle, it seems that the early-adopters always get singed.
    Well, as I said, I really know nothing about the Kindle, but I suspect that Sony would be ahead of the game with the ebook quantity, sort of like iPod controlling a lot of the market that the MS Zune can't access. I don't know this to be the case with Sony/Kindle, but it's worth looking into before one buys.