Thread: Vocabulary Files

Default Vocabulary Files

I am trying to build a vocabulary file based on Mastronarde's book "Introduction to Attic". I was able to make a copy of gntvoc, change the name of it and convert to an Excel file. I am editing that Excel file with the Mastornarde's vocabulary. My problem is I do not know how to convert the excel to either a .vrt or .vrc. Is there better instructions on how to do this than what is in the Bibleworks help file? I'd be thankful for any help on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eutychus View Post
    I am trying to build a vocabulary file based on Mastronarde's book "Introduction to Attic". I was able to make a copy of gntvoc, change the name of it and convert to an Excel file. I am editing that Excel file with the Mastornarde's vocabulary. My problem is I do not know how to convert the excel to either a .vrt or .vrc. Is there better instructions on how to do this than what is in the Bibleworks help file? I'd be thankful for any help on this.
    When you get to the point of saving the file in Excel, don't save it as a normal excel spreadsheet. Save it as a tab-delimited file and save it with quotation marks "Mastronarde.vrt" I believe that should do what you want. The next step then is to import that file into BibleWorks via the Vocab module.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    When you get to the point of saving the file in Excel, don't save it as a normal excel spreadsheet. Save it as a tab-delimited file and save it with quotation marks "Mastronarde.vrt" I believe that should do what you want. The next step then is to import that file into BibleWorks via the Vocab module.
    Michael, that did the trick. Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Eutychus View Post
    Michael, that did the trick. Thanks for your help!
    By the way, if you finish that project let me know, we would love to have the vocab files available on the BibleWorks Blog for other users as well.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    By the way, if you finish that project let me know, we would love to have the vocab files available on the BibleWorks Blog for other users as well.
    It is a little slow going right now, but when it is complete I'll be happy to share it. I have certainly benefited from everyone else's work.

Default .vrt with Open Office

Hello,

I am trying to make a vocab list of Balme & Lawall's vocabulary in the Athenaze grammar. I have Open Office calc which I am running on Windows XP and I have BW6. I can not save a created list as a .vrt or .vrc (I believe I want a .vrt anyway) when I save as, I do not have an option to choose .vr anything. I've tried a bunch of different options to no avail even the suggestion of putting quotes around the title when saving it but with that method I am not able to choose a "tab-deliminated file." Any suggestions?

-KidZero

Quote Originally Posted by KidZero View Post
    Hello,

I am trying to make a vocab list of Balme & Lawall's vocabulary in the Athenaze grammar. I have Open Office calc which I am running on Windows XP and I have BW6. I can not save a created list as a .vrt or .vrc (I believe I want a .vrt anyway) when I save as, I do not have an option to choose .vr anything. I've tried a bunch of different options to no avail even the suggestion of putting quotes around the title when saving it but with that method I am not able to choose a "tab-deliminated file." Any suggestions?

-KidZero
    I know there's a way to do this in Windows, but I still rely on my DOS skills to make this happen. So until someone can enlighten you that way, this is how I do it.

Go to the Start menu and Run and type in "cmd" That gets you to the DOS prompt. if you put whatever file you want in your "Documents and Settings\[Username]" folder, you won't have to change directories in the command prompt. To change the file name type "ren oldfilename.whatever newfilename.vrt" and voila.

Like I said, I know there's a way to do this in Windows, but I've never learned it, I always go back to the command prompt.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Default Right click and then rename?

How about renaming the file after saving it. Right click on the file, pick the rename file option, and type in the new name including the correct suffix?

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Default tried 'em both

Go to the Start menu and Run and type in "cmd" That gets you to the DOS prompt. if you put whatever file you want in your "Documents and Settings\[Username]" folder, you won't have to change directories in the command prompt. To change the file name type "ren oldfilename.whatever newfilename.vrt" and voila.
    I tried this and I must not know what I am doing because the DOS shell tells me that this "is not recognized as an internal or external command" if I input the data without the quotation marks it tells me that "the syntax of this command is incorrect."

I tried this also to no avail.

However, my laptop has Vista (along with Open Office Calc) and I was able to begin my desired Vocab List. But I would be appreciative if I could figure out why I was unsucessful with DOS.

-KidZero

Quote Originally Posted by KidZero View Post
    I tried this and I must not know what I am doing because the DOS shell tells me that this "is not recognized as an internal or external command" if I input the data without the quotation marks it tells me that "the syntax of this command is incorrect."

I tried this also to no avail.

However, my laptop has Vista (along with Open Office Calc) and I was able to begin my desired Vocab List. But I would be appreciative if I could figure out why I was unsucessful with DOS.

-KidZero

Hmm. I don't know if things change in Vista. I'm using XP. You shouldn't be using quotation marks, but the format should work: ren worddocument.doc worddocument.xyz would change a file "worddocument.doc" to be named "worddocument.xyz" If your file is in the right place, I'm not sure why that would not work.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!