Thread: Complete Ante-Nicene Fathers database anywhere? Or some way to search it?

Question Complete Ante-Nicene Fathers database anywhere? Or some way to search it?

I downloaded the add-on, but I can't seem to find it within BW7 itself. I put it in the database folder like all of the other add-ons.

Is there a complete ANF somewhere?

Are there other places/programs/ways to search through all of the text?

Thanks!

L

Ideally, I'd like to be able to easily search through all of this text with Bibleworks:

http://www.ccel.org/fathers.html/

Any hope?

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by naked View Post
    Ideally, I'd like to be able to easily search through all of this text with Bibleworks:

http://www.ccel.org/fathers.html/

Any hope?

Luke
    There is not a single way. If you have seen the files on the BibleWorks blog, there are a few collections that have been made in User modules under the sub-heading "Church Fathers" Earlier there was an attempt to try to make "Bible versions" of the Church Fathers but that became too difficult and too restrictive. So as of right now there is no single way to do this. Some of us have said BW should try to acquire a Church Father database or module, but BW tends to specialize in the Bible itself and language resources related to the same, so I don't think it's a top priority to them, but you are more than welcome to suggest it. Otherwise users (well Pasquale mostly) have been very successful at integrating the data themselves into BibleWorks.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by naked View Post
    I downloaded the add-on, but I can't seem to find it within BW7 itself. I put it in the database folder like all of the other add-ons.

Is there a complete ANF somewhere?

Are there other places/programs/ways to search through all of the text?

Thanks!

L
    The Ante-Nicene Fathers database that Michael Hanel made available a couple years ago is not complete. But I have found it useful. The files for it (anf.ddf and anf.txt) should be placed in the userdb folder, not the database folder. Then from within BibleWorks click on "Tools" then "Version Database Compiler." Then click on "Open" and you should see "anf" in the big window. Click on it, then click on "Open" then "Compile". Be sure that "Install after Compiling" to the left of "Compile" is checked. Michael included all this information on the "readme" file that is included in the anf download.
    After the version is compiled you need to make it both a display version and the search version in the BW browse window. Then you can search for what you want. Just realize that it includes only about 5 volumes of the ANF, not the entire series.
    I hope this helps.
    Mark Eddy