Thread: Problem with Hebrew in PowerPoint 2007

Default Problem with Hebrew in PowerPoint 2007

I'm having trouble with Hebrew in PowerPoint. I have Windows XP and Office 2007. On my slide, I need the Hebrew text (Gen 1:1) to be in huge font across the slide. When I shrink the font way down, to where there is just 1 straight line of text, it looks fine (just way too small for a presentation!). But when I enlarge the font to make it readable, it then moves the next line above the line, not below it. For example:

I think Wal-Mart is a crappy job
    I don't like.

Instead of being like that, it's doing this:

Wal-Mart is a crappy job I don't like.
    I think

It puts my next line of text and places it above on a new line, not below on a new line. The justification thing didn't work, and I do have it set for right to left text format. I'm stumped. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chan Arnett

Sounds to me like you're using the BW font and consequently having wrapping issues.

I'd suggest setting the Hebrew export font as unicode (either SBL Hebrew or Ezra SIL, providing you have them installed) to overcome the wrapping problem.

Regards,
    David.

Or make the font small, then manually divide the phrase into smaller sections via hard-return, then increase the font. So, you'd put the following into your slide:

I think Wal-Mart
    is a crappy job
    I don't like.

Clumsy I admit, but it works if you like the BW font and/or don't want to go the Unicode route.

Ingo

P.S. I haven't been to Wal-Mart in a while . . .

Default thanks guys

Thanks for both responses. Sorry it took so long to reply. You both were a huge help. I did the sentence fragment thing because I was pressed for time, slide looks excellent. I later (when I had time!) changed my export font and it works great now. Thanks to you both.

Chan Arnett

Quote Originally Posted by David Kummerow View Post
    Sounds to me like you're using the BW font and consequently having wrapping issues.

I'd suggest setting the Hebrew export font as unicode (either SBL Hebrew or Ezra SIL, providing you have them installed) to overcome the wrapping problem.

Regards,
    David.
    Hello David,

When I use the SBL Hebrew font the text that is copied over has Hebrew characters but doesn't appear correct (i.e. everything is mispelled). Chalrie had mentioned something about a font map years ago, but is that still an issue? How is this overcome? I am using XP and BW7 on this PC; copying SBL Hebrew from the Tanach.us site works fine so it seems to be a mapping issue with the export?

Anyone else have this issue? Btw, Thanks for your feedback in the other thread David

Hi Joshua,

Font mapping should not be necessary. But you do need the 'unicode' option selected, which is why I suspect you're getting incorrect mapping:

Regards,
    David.