Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: limiting Hebrew text to the ketiv

Default limiting Hebrew text to the ketiv

Iin doing cut and pasting to a Word document, I am bothered by the parentheses in the Hebrew text used to insert the kere readings and would like to limit what appears in the Browser window to the ketiv text. Is that possible?

This is a great question! I think that the answer lies in search string commands. If I understand correctly, you do NOT want the Qere, only the Kethib. You want only the actual text of scripture, minus any scribal additions.

I know that when you are doing morphological searches (using a morph-tagged version like WTM), you can limit a search with reference to Qere and Kethib using the 'R{q}' and 'R{k}' strings (for Qere and Kethib, respectively) - and 'R{x}' for neither. So, you can do searches for anything tagged Qere, anything tagged Kethib, or anything tagged Neither.

So, for example, to find all verb forms excluding any with Qere markers in the WTM, you want to search for anything tagged Kethib OR Neither. So, in WTM, you would use this search string:

.*@v*R{kx}

Remember, that's just a simple verb-form search eliminating Qere markers. But it should get you rolling. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Steve Watkins; 09-13-2007 at 12:12 PM.
    Steve Watkins
    First Baptist Church, San Lorenzo Valley
    www.slvbaptist.org

Default Ketib/Qere

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Fincke View Post
    ...would like to limit what appears in the Browser window to the ketiv text. Is that possible?
    Actually, you can turn either of those on or off by clicking them in their box at the bottom of the screen when you have WTT as your display text.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

HA!

Yeah, that would be the easy way, wouldn't it?!

There you go. Double click Qere at the bottom while browsing in WTT to turn off Qere. Ok, I feel a little silly. Thanks, Dale
    Steve Watkins
    First Baptist Church, San Lorenzo Valley
    www.slvbaptist.org

Default Easy way

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Watkins View Post
    Yeah, that would be the easy way, wouldn't it?! .... Ok, I feel a little silly. Thanks, Dale
    It was just last week I picked up on the really esoteric hint that if you hit F1 when your cursor was in the commandline, the help-screen came up with examples of command line code. Rather obvious, but I'd been overlooking it and using a much more tortured way into finding these when needed. Probably why I didn't know how to type .*@v*R{kx}

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Default displaying JUST ketiv

The problem - and I've been assured by the company that it is a problem - is that when cutting and pasting Hebrew text to a Word file, I gert parentheses used to delimit ketiv and kere in the end-product, and they mess up the right-left formatting and line-wrap. I would much prefer to have a flowing Hebrew text in the browse window. Unfortunately Westminster licenses the Hebrew text, and BW has to live with what it gets. Of course Mike could create a macro to solve the problem, but he's up to his ears with the maps and the Castilian Bible.
    Andrew

Default Just something to consider

Sometimes, the kere reading is actually to be preferred. Because many of the soferim (scribes) had such a deep reverence for the scribes who came before them, they wouldn't alter the text even when obvious mistakes had crept in. So what they would do was this: they would preserve the integrity of the text they were copying from (the vorlage) but add their suggested emendations as glosses (the kere). In other words, they would indicate what they thought to be the true reading by inserting the kere. Just something to consider before you throw out the kere.

Irving Salzman

Dear Irving,
    I have no intention of "throwing out the keres". What I recommend is that we have a running Hebrew text in the browse window - with the ketiv reading - and a popup informs us if there is an alternate kere. That popup would appear automatically or when the cursor is placed on the word in question (preferable). Now your precisous keres would be spotlighted with a popup of their own, and I'd be free to cut and paste Hebrew text into Word without getting the line-wrap garbled by the parentheses and brackets.
    Andrew

Default cutting and pasting

Natalio Fernandez Marcos published a concordance of the Lucianic Greek of the historical books. It's largely garbage, and I've been creating a correct version - for 1-2 Samuel, 1 Chron 10-21 - by checking his lists against BW and cutting and pasting Hebrew and Greek clips from there. Instead of using verse #'s for referencing, I use the masoretic system - text-pieces that are recognizable.

Default running text and cutting and pasting

The cool think about using the kethib and qere toggles in the status bar is you can leave both turned on so you know when there is a qere present, but then you can turn of which ever you want with a quick double click before you cut and paste.
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu