Thread: Seeing Greek Hebrew search hits in English

Default Seeing Greek Hebrew search hits in English

I may be missing something (or have forgotten) something, but is there a way to search for a Greek or Hebrew word and then have the search window display the resulting verses in an English translation (ESV, NIV) with the English translation highlighted?

What I want to do is search, for example the Greek dioti in the GNT and then have the results show in the ESV with "for" and "because" etc. highlighted so I can quickly see how it is translated and how many times.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    What I want to do is search, for example the Greek dioti in the GNT and then have the results show in the ESV with "for" and "because" etc. highlighted so I can quickly see how it is translated and how many times.
    You need to use the GSE to do this. There is a sample file called "multiver.qf" that you can load from the GSE and this file demonstrates what you would need to do for your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    You need to use the GSE to do this. There is a sample file called "multiver.qf" that you can load from the GSE and this file demonstrates what you would need to do for your search.
    No, this does not do it. It only finds verses where the Greek word and English word are both used. It does not link the English word to the Greek word. It also does not show highlighting in English.

No, this does not do it. It only finds verses where the Greek word and English word are both used. It does not link the English word to the Greek word. It also does not show highlighting in English.
    It will show highlighting in English if you set your merge box to the English version you want highlighted. You can also use Strong's numbers to specify which words are included.

Five minutes later...

Well, I take that back. The English is not highlighted, albeit I am almost sure it used to be in version 6 when you did a multi version search.

In that vein, I would use the command line and use Strong's numbers to structure the search. That seems the most straight-forward way to do it.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 09-02-2007 at 01:51 AM.

For example, if you make KJV your search version and type .*@1360 this will give you all the various English words that rerpesent dioti, and they will be highlighted.

The only drawback is that the ESV is not taged to Strong's.

I think there's another way to do what you want with the GSE, but I'm not sure what it is.

I may be missing something (or have forgotten) something, but is there a way to search for a Greek or Hebrew word and then have the search window display the resulting verses in an English translation (ESV, NIV) with the English translation highlighted?

Thanks.
    There really is and never was a way to do this in BibleWorks. The program has no way of knowing which word in an English translation is used to translate a given Greek word. Since word order in the different languages is different, BW could not just highlight a word in a translation because it has the same place in the verse. Some Greek words are translated by multiple English words. Sometimes a Greek phrase is translated by a single English word. Some words are left untranslated, and some words are added by translators in order to have it make better sense in English. While what you are seeking might seem very straight-forward, there often is no one-for-one correspondence between words in a translation and in the original language. Especially in difficult passages, the translators will paraphrase a bit, so they aren't translating the words but the ideas. Also there are times when a word is used more than once in a verse. So, e.g. the English word "for" might exist in a verse to translate the Greek words GAR, HOTI, or EIS. Or you might find a verse where "for" translates EIS and the word "because" translates HOTI. Searching cross-language searching for HOTI in Greek and "for" in ESV might show up a verse where "for" does not translate HOTI. You can use the verse list manager after you have done a basic search to exclude verses where the words you find in a search do not translate the word you thought they might translate.
    You can use BW for the basic searching, but you'll have to use your own eyes and brain to come up with the information you're seeking. Then, if what you discover is important, you can publish it in a theological journal for everybody else to learn.
    In Christ,
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    There really is and never was a way to do this in BibleWorks. The program has no way of knowing which word in an English translation is used to translate a given Greek word. Since word order in the different languages is different, BW could not just highlight a word in a translation because it has the same place in the verse. Some Greek words are translated by multiple English words. Sometimes a Greek phrase is translated by a single English word. Some words are left untranslated, and some words are added by translators in order to have it make better sense in English. While what you are seeking might seem very straight-forward, there often is no one-for-one correspondence between words in a translation and in the original language. Especially in difficult passages, the translators will paraphrase a bit, so they aren't translating the words but the ideas. Also there are times when a word is used more than once in a verse. So, e.g. the English word "for" might exist in a verse to translate the Greek words GAR, HOTI, or EIS. Or you might find a verse where "for" translates EIS and the word "because" translates HOTI. Searching cross-language searching for HOTI in Greek and "for" in ESV might show up a verse where "for" does not translate HOTI. You can use the verse list manager after you have done a basic search to exclude verses where the words you find in a search do not translate the word you thought they might translate.
    You can use BW for the basic searching, but you'll have to use your own eyes and brain to come up with the information you're seeking. Then, if what you discover is important, you can publish it in a theological journal for everybody else to learn.
    In Christ,
    Mark Eddy
    Aren't any of the Bibleworks translations interlinear? Perhaps with Strongs? What I need to do can be done from an interlinear. In fact, Logos can do this in a few seconds in both ESV and NRSV interlinears. There may be others, but I am not sure. I was just hoping to find a similar functionality in BW to aid sermon preparation.

There are no interlinears currently available with Bible Works. BW is really geared to getting us to read the original languages. No English translation can work well as an interlinear, because word order is often quite different between Greek/Hebrew and English. But if enough users want an interlinear, BW will probably find one some day.
    Mark Eddy