Thread: Linking to Logos-Liddell-Scott-Jones

Hybrid View

Default Linking to Logos-Liddell-Scott-Jones

Dear all,

I've carefully read the threads on this, but I must be missing something. I'm trying to be able to look up a Greek word from BW7 to my LSJ in Logos. I've got it to the point where it will open up the Libronix platform, but even though I've tried several different ways to get it to go, it will not open LSJ. When I manually open LSJ, it also will not bring up the Greek word in question.

Any thoughts (besides, "you should have waited for the LSJ module on BW to come out!" I couldn't wait. Now I wish that I had!)

puzzled in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Beetham; 08-06-2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo

Default Linking to the LSJ in Logos

Hi Chris.

The first step is to open up the ELM (External Links Manager). Do this by either clicking proper button: , or go to the "Resources" menu item and select "Edit external links":

This will open up the ELM:

Click the "New" button.

Select options and enter information as shown in the screen shot above [note fields in the red boxes]. Copy the following line of code into "Web page, file to run or executable to run" field.

Code:
    libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|lang=el|scheme=beta|res=LLS:46.30.25
    Another option is to open your ShellExec.txt file. This file is found in your c:\program files\bibleworks 7\init directory. At the very bottom of the text, paste the following code.

Code:
    //
    // External Link #24
    //
    [Liddell-Scott-Jones (Logos)]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|lang=el|scheme=beta|res=LLS:46.30.25
    Parameters = NULL
    MenuLocation = Browse Window Greek
    TextType = Greek Text
    MapToVersion = NULL
    Lookup = Lemma
    MenuText = Liddell-Scott-Jones (Logos)
    Enabled = 1
    You will probably have to renumber the "External Link #" (second line, in green). Make sure this is a unique number sequential to the number of the previous external link.

Save the file.

You should be able to right-click a word in a Greek text, select the "Liddell-Scott-Jones (Logos)" option, and open up to the correct entry in the LSJ in Libronix.

Note that this "right click" will only work in versions that have a corresponding morphological version (e.g., BGT & BGM, PHI & PHM, etc.).

For more information about linking to Libronix, see the Logos documents: Linking to Libronix books from other applications and Web Linking to Libronix.
    Last edited by jdarlack; 08-10-2007 at 05:05 PM.
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default BDAG, EDNT, TDNT links

I forgot to note that you can also link to BDAG, EDNT and TDNT using a similar set up.

To do this, you would have to replace the last set of numbers with the appropriate code.
    Code:
    libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|lang=el|scheme=beta|res=LLS:46.30.25
    Replace the red text given in the link with the red text below:
    46.30.18 (for BDAG)
    46.10.26 (for EDNT)
    46.10.16 (for TDNT)
    You would have to make a new entry in the ELM for each dictionary.

Hi Jim.

Thank you for your reply. I followed your steps, and it appears that I was on track in my previous attempts. Having retraced my latest attempt by going through your steps, it appears that I had done everything as you are now recommending.

Still, however, as before, when I right click on "Liddell-Scott-Jones (Logos)" after I've highlighted a Greek word in BGT, it will open Logos (since it wasn't previously opened), but it will go no further. It won't open LSJ, and it (obviously then) doesn't open up to the requested Greek word in LSJ. Any further thoughts? I've double checked my code in the "Web page, File to open, or executable to run" window, and it matches the one that you gave.

Chris

Default send me your shellexec

Hi Chris, send me your shellexec.txt file. Use the email given below.

Default Link to another Logos resource

Hi Jim
    Thanks for your wonderful instructions here. It worked first time for me.
    Now, can I border you with a further question on how to link to other books within libronix?

I would like to link to EDNT - exegetical dict. of the New Testament. This one should be tagged as well so I can call up the word in question directly.

What do I chance in the line code?

Also, what if I want to call up all other non-greek resources - like my IVP dictionaries - can that be done from the English text in BW? I guess I am asking for two things:
    - can I look up 'carpenter' in a specific libronix book as well?
    - can I search all my libr. books for 'carpenter' - from within BW?

Thanks!

Morten