Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Updated Keil and Delitzsch and Calvin Commentaries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    While I’m looking at ways to tweek the Keil-Delitzsch module for BibleWorks, I noticed that Hebrew quotations of more than one word in length appear to have the word order reversed. E.g. in Exodus 3:1 היהרעה should be רעההיה and אחרהמּדבּר should be המּדבּראחר.
    Hmmm. Strange. I checked my display of the verse and the ordering is correct: רעה היה and המדבר אחר. My ordering is not reversed.

OS is XPsp2 with IE 6.

Regards,
    David Kummerow.

EDIT: Just checked the Hebrew text, and the text actually reads the reverse of what I have. What order does KD have in the printed text, the order of the Hebrew text, or the reverse as what I have above?

Or is it just that I have read wrongly the quoted post?
    Last edited by David Kummerow; 11-10-2007 at 10:13 PM.

`T.a'( ha,r>m;-tp;y> hV'ai yKi yTi[.d:y" an"-hNEhi ATv.ai hn"yji-la, jwOqs rm,aYO"w:

I render it as, "Then Sqot proceeded to say unto Tinah, his wife, 'Behold, now, I know that thou art beautiful of appearance.'"

Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Quote Originally Posted by David Kummerow View Post
    What order does KD have in the printed text, the order of the Hebrew text, or the reverse as what I have above?
    The printed edition of K&D has the reverse of what you posted, David.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    The printed edition of K&D has the reverse of what you posted, David.
    OK. Good. KD match the Hebrew text of WTT/BHS then.

So a restatement of the issue: 1) the display of more than one Hebrew words reverses the display order, eg Exod 3:1 רעה היה but should in fact display as היה רעה to match printed KD and WTT/BHS; 2) Cut-and-paste of KD text displaying as רעה היה is pasted into Word as היה רעה.

Regards,
    David Kummerow.

Post Hebrew Problem

Hi Guys,
    Just to clarify the matter. Attached is a sample of an HTML file from Keil and Delitzsch.

Open the file in MS Word and you will notice that the highlighted Hebrew words will appear in one order.

Open the same file in Internet Explorer and you will notice that the word order is reversed.

This is essentially the problem that Mark Eddy spotted in K&D. In a CHM the Hebrew words behave like they do in Internet Explorer, that is the Hebrew words will appear in the incorrect order.

I have checked the BW version of K&D against the e-Sword version and this is in fact the case.

Regards,
    Willem Swanepoel
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by BigJayOneill View Post
    Great job on the commentary.

My question is to "SCSaunders"

Where does this text come from and what does it say?

`T.a'( ha,r>m;-tp;y> hV'ai yKi yTi[.d:y" an"-hNEhi ATv.ai hn"yji-la, jwOqs rm,aYO"w

i
    Is there a Tina in the Bible?
    The text reminds me of a certain patriarch and his wife.

I like your creative website.
    Thank you! When roller skating down the middle of the street at high noon, quoting the Good Book through a Mr. Microphone, I reverberate of passel of "daom."s to the mix.

The website is a work in progress: I'm going through Adobe CS 3 tutorials, so it's slowing down my posts a wee bit. I'm looking to add something new each time.

My real goal is to saturate Youtube and Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
    `T.a'( ha,r>m;-tp;y> hV'ai yKi yTi[.d:y" an"-hNEhi ATv.ai hn"yji-la, jwOqs rm,aYO"w:

I render it as, "Then Sqot proceeded to say unto Tinah, his wife, 'Behold, now, I know that thou art exceedingly, exceedingly, exceedingly, mucho beautiful of appearance. Hubba hubba!'" [emphasis added to reflect heartfelt passions]

[characters added to reach the mark of the forum "10"]

Quote Originally Posted by Willem Swanepoel View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Just to clarify the matter. Attached is a sample of an HTML file from Keil and Delitzsch.

Open the file in MS Word and you will notice that the highlighted Hebrew words will appear in one order.

Open the same file in Internet Explorer and you will notice that the word order is reversed.

Regards,
    Willem Swanepoel
    Gday Willem,

I corrected your html file to how it should be encoded to display correctly. You should be able to see the changes made in the relevant places.

Regards,
    David Kummerow.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by David Kummerow View Post
    Hmmm. Strange. I checked my display of the verse and the ordering is correct: רעה היה and המדבר אחר. My ordering is not reversed.

OS is XPsp2 with IE 6.

Regards,
    David Kummerow.

EDIT: Just checked the Hebrew text, and the text actually reads the reverse of what I have. What order does KD have in the printed text, the order of the Hebrew text, or the reverse as what I have above?

Or is it just that I have read wrongly the quoted post?
    The printed text of Keil-Delitzsch has the order of the words as in WTT at Exo 3:1 in BW: h[ro hyh and rBdMh rxa. Cutting and pasting between the Keil-Delitzsch module and MS outlook or MS Word changes the order in which the words display on the screen. What I see in your post is the reversed/wrong word order, which I reported. In my last post, since I cut directly from K-D and pasted into this thread, I had difficulty getting the post to look exactly like K-D, since the right-to-left typing between Hebrew words doesn't seem to work exactly as I would have expected.
    Mark Eddy